Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Seal And Pshe

Does anyone have a plan to share how they incorporate SEAL with their already established PSHE scheme eg still doing health and hygiene, drugs and medicine. We still need to cover these because of our commitment to the Healthy Schools Programme. Obviously this question is meant for colleagues in Primary schools.

:) Hi- our LEA have their own scheme called 'smile again' they have provided us with schemes of work that link with SEAL and how to cover the bits missing from SEAL that you mentioned. I will happily attach it for you if you think it might help but I can't do this until I am back at school ( :o miserable head won't allow us access to school as she reckons having our own key is a security risk xD )

We use Seal material. I'm quite happy to share my plans - but will have to wait till later due to it being on laptop (at school!)

Have you seen the SEAL material, the brochures are quite self explanatory linking ELG. I pick and choose the course of work needed to be covered (focus whole class teaching/ circle time etc) and a lot of it can be embedded in daily routine or cross-curricular. SEAL brochures give lots of examples (and sometimes it doesn't actually give enough to be taught in isolation ie: you have to teach/ facilitate with other activities). For example, setting a goal. We discussed and contextualised what a goal was (we used the term target instead as chil;dren already knew this term). Then we held a circle time to decide what our own personal goals were. Some children said skipping, doing their own coat up, etc. They were guided to lend towards short term goals initially eg. this afternoon I want to mak a model with mark.

We put a tick list up and children ticked against their name when they felt they had a chieved their goal. Once the concept had been established they decided upon longer term goals like the skipping etc.

We revisited in circle times etc. The rest of the term really was intergrated with the curriculum, reminding and celebrating when goals were achieved. Children decided upon another one etc.

Hope it helps

(There is loads of support material and resources that go with the pack also)

Hi Skylight thanks for that. If you can post your plans that would be really helpful to see how someone makes it work. I havent really looked at the resources yet so I hope they really are easy to implement!

Skylight - we have been pilotting SEAL throughout school up to year 6 but staff are saying they are struggling to do the PSHE topics that we need to do - Health and Hygiene, Drugs education etc and just wondered how everyone fits it all in. In our part of the country we are trying to achieve healthy school ststus which includes drugs, PSHE, Healthy eating, sex and relationship targets etc that must be achieved ( there are 12 altogether

I did the SEAL training a couple of years ago and they did say that the health aspects aren't covered so you need your own program to cover those but many of these are covered in other curriculum areas healthy eating in science for example. If you look at what is already being taught in school you may find that you have very little extra to cover. We actually have the school nurse in to talk to classes about drug awareness and sex ed and this covers the Healthy school requirements.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)