Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moderation File

Hi there,

I have read that quite a few people do this. I don't have one yet, but plan on doing one. I have a moderation group meeting in July and they have asked for 3 different ability of evidence. Now do I bring in three portfolios of different ability children, or doi I just bring in my moderation file. Please help, thank you

I'd say take what you have. Individual portfolio's that show evidence to back up your judgement should be fine. If you've made a start on a moderation file, take that ... but it's a mamouth and on-going task, so don't let yourself get too stressed, just explain that this is a work in progress. If you know which areas are being moderated, and you are just making a start on your moderation file, maybe you could concentrate on building these sections first.

Harricroft

I am just thinking ahead about which children's portfolios to bring. We are being moderated on KUW and PSE. Do I take 3 different abilities for both of these areas.

By the way do you have evidence for all the points you are being moderated on. For example if a child got an 8 in emotional' then do I need to show evidence for points 1-7. I hope that is clear.

Last year the moderator came to our school and just looked at 3 abilites and their highest score for each aspect.

I shall look forward to other people's replies.

Laura

Oh how I hate all this! I take my whole moderation portfolio, but there is not much in it. Lots of the evidence is in my head - especially for the simplest FSP points. Sometimes I find it more valuable to record evidence to show why they haven't achieved the points! I keep loads of assessments - often annotated class lists, but I don't rewrite everything under each child's section of the portfolio. Am being moderated this year and feel quite stressed at the thought! So, in answer to your question: No I don't have written evidence for all the points!

I would take three different ability levels for each area - one on the stepping stones, one within the early learning goals and one achieving highly/point 9 if you have it. You don't need to have evidence for all points being moderated - ie child achieving 8 might not necessarily have got 4-8 as they're not heirarchical (?spelling). But if you are scoring at 9 they will have to have achieved 1-8.

I think everyone find moderation stressful, but usually things are fine and it is nice to have the reassurance that you're on the right track.

Good luck,

Harricroft

Hi lauraraply,

My moderation focus was PSED and CLL

I have just been moderated i too felt stressed about the whole thing. The moderators role is a supporting one it is not an OFSTED inspection! I showed evidence of three children that are at varying developmental stages. I did not evidence every point as this would have been an impossibility. I was expceted to give exlanations of why one child may have achieved a point and not another so they were able to see that there is consisitency when making a decisions. I was also asked did I use the profiles to infrom my planning of what next for the child. I told that I could consider doing evidence of a child developing a skill and then maybe achieveing it as this would show progress. The profiles need to be indvidual to the child for example:

PSED Social Development

4 ELG Works as part of a group /class taking turns share fairly :

Evidence: A asked if we could save a cake for her friend for tomorrow when she comes back to school.

I was also asked about transition from Kindergarten to Reception Class and parent partnership.

I hope this has been of some help and makes sense.

THERE IS NO NEED TO WORRY

best wishes and good luck let us know how you get on

Kathleen

l

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)