Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play - A Vet's

Hi everyone,

We've decided to have a vet's surgery as our role play theme this coming term as one of our PSHE areas is 'caring for animals'.

I'm sure loads of you have done this one before, so ideas please?! I have a toy cat/dog carrier, a few stuffed animals, a doctor's bag and that's about it!

Thanks,

Jess

HI jessica how about some of the following:-

overall for vet, vets bag with various instruments, chairs for waiting room, soft toy pets, magazines for waiting room, receptionists desk, scales, leaflets and notices, phone, appointment book, diary, prescriptions, posters for caring for pets, opening times, money and cheque books/credit cards, till.

Hope some of these prove helpful and have fun, let us know how it goes. We've just put away our garden centre and I have some fabulous observations of childrens role play!!!!! :D

We're just setting up a vet's surgery too. We have quite a large role play area so we we've got a pet shop as well. The children will go and buy and pet and then take it to the vet's for its injections :o .

Our surgery is/will be stocked pretty much like Ellie2004 suggests (didn't think of the overall for the vet - whoops). We've just bought At the Vet CD Rom which looks pretty good. I think it cost about £12 and support all areas of learning.

Good luck with the vets Jess - and I'd love to hear any suggestions for things you're doing as part of your topic.

Harricroft.

Hi there,

We also have just done the vets topic, Alot has already been mentioned but we did combine a small shop to buy all the pet foods. This was probably the most popular bit with the children. Our pets were very well fed

I find it helpful to think up scenarios to initiate the play. If you have an old toy that you don't mind drawing on, you could draw / paint a wound on to introduce the topic. Other ideas to extend the play are an injured pet that has no collar - how can we return it to its owner? The children might think of 'lost pet' posters - perhaps you could put these up around school and then persuade someone to come and 'collect' their pet on seeing the poster! My childrne loved putting bandages on soft toy pets. We also make dog leads and collars and 'dragged' them around 'taking them for a walk' around the outdoor area. And we too had a pet shop as our outdoor role play. Another idea - I have just done a doctors surgery and the children made badges (drawn on paper) for the receptionist, doctor and nurse - I then laminated them and put double sided tape on the back so they were easy to wear. Good luck and have fun!

We recently had a vet role play area, we involve the children in the setting up but the children didn't have much of an idea as what happened at the vets, until I mentioned Animal Hospital and then all of a sudden they were full of ideas because of course they all watch it on the TV.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)