Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Extremley Quiet Child

Hi Guys

I have a child in my Rec class who is very quiet. I have noticed recently that she has become a lot less talkative. She stands and onbseves the otherchildren constantly but very rarely joins in or initiates conversation. I have been on a visit to her home to try and get her to open up. She was a different child at home and seemed to be quite a Madam! She jumped all over me and was extremely bossy to her younger brother. Meanwhile at school she is a mouse! She seems very tired and mum has trouble putting her to bed at night often finally getting her to settle at 9-9:30!

Any ideas on how to bring her out of herself more in school! Thanks in advance!

dont know if it will help but we had a child like that and after a holiday to disneyworld he came in with his photos and showed the children at show and tell time with help at first and from then on we could not shut him up :) is there something that she likes doing she could show or tell the children about?

Not got any good ideas for the little girl. I had a kid who was very quiet at school but the opposite at home and just one day she kind of flicked a switch.

Just had to post to say your username is what my husband is known by with his friends (well minus the e) Our surname (I nearly wrote his then, not been married long) is Mott and so he was and still is known as Motti!

i had a 3 year old child who was extremely quiet and who found it very difficult to express her needs i used photo symbols for her they worked very well and once she had plucked up the courage to use them i saw her verbal language slowly creep in until i was able to withdraw the symbols one by one

You could try observing her throughout the day or week to see when or where she is most comfortable and likely to talk. You could work on providing more experiences for her under those circumstances without any pressure and maybe her confidence will build.

In the past I have had two children similar to the one you describe. One suddenly started talking although he'd spent 4 terms in nursery and 1 term with me without uttering a single word. One day he shouted across the classroom I lud you Mrs S :D and never stopped talking after that. The other transferred into nursery in the summer term before starting school and never spoke right through reception apart to one child who lived in the same street. We did all the usual things talked to mum and dad health visitor school nurse referred to Speech and Language nothing worked. It was so bad we had to get dad in to help with his FSP as he wouldn't talk at all. He is now in Y2 and I'm told he stood up in front of the whole school last week to read out his Big Writing as writer of the week in his class.

I have 2 or 3 like that at the moment at pre-school. one beautiful little girl the other day who at pre-school always talks very qietly so that you can't hear her or understand, went out of the hall with mum to go home. I always say to mum that sheneeds alot of encourage and that doesn't talk much and when she does so quitely, you know the usual conversation you have with mum, we've asked questions mum says she fine at home and rather rules the roost.

Well the other day going home mum said something to her and she thought we weren't looking.(little girl that is).

Well talk about jekyl and Hide she kicked off into the almighty of temper tantrums. This little angel with an angelica face, screwed it up and screamed yelled and cried. she looked as thought she doubled in size.

Well all of the staff just stood and looked at her, as though it was an un known child. Mum took one look at us and laughed. She said I have been telling you all that the child you see is not the child at home.

She is the baby of the family all other children are teenagers+. and the only way to get her way is to bellow, and thow tantrums. why she doesn't do it at pre-school we don't know. she did at the beginning have a few crying episodes when we asked her to do things, but I think because she didn't get the adults running in circles to do things for her she stopped. xD

We have now come to the conclusion that as she gets older and finds her feet more she will be a right little madam. The one thing we are please with is we get the good quiet child not the tantrum and bellowing one.

For once we have come out with the best :o:D

Confession time! I had a child similar to the one you describe Mottie! We got so frustrated that one day I said to her that if I heard her chatting during nursery I would give her 50p to spend at the shop on the way home. (how unprofessional - BRIBERY!! :o ) but it worked! Never had a problem again.

Thanks for that guys I like the bribery...could try chocolate! Works for me! I have broken up now and the little girl in question is off on hols to pakistan hope she isn't too phased when she comes back!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)