Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Concerned

I am very concerrned about a child currently in my class. i have been to my SENCO but i'm afraid the attitude in our school is we will help in year 1.

This young child only recognises 3 souonds and does not recognise any numbers. She is unable to touch count 5 objects accurately. She is unable to tell me the sounds in her name and at times is unable to write it. She is unable to copy words or letters. I have been giving her short games daily sometimes twice a day but nothing seems to be working. I am desperate for some ideas please!!

Guest tinkerbell

Oh heck Lola

Does she join in rhymes and songs?

Could she have a hearing loss? does she talk?

Tinkerbellx

Guest tinkerbell

I have a very young boy who sounds similar.He joined reception a term later than the other children from another authority.It took half aterm for him to speak other than baby .he would say 'dirty bottoms' and things to make the other children laugh.He loves rhymes.He had very poor pencil control and could not draw a person other than an ameoba.

he can now do a recognisable s(can be reversed) and an a this is it but we have made steps.He is showing more of an interest in things going on in class and will join other children rather than parallel play.

I have a small group of children who I will start Jolly phonics with from the beginning after easter.

Tinkerbellx

I would carry on with small daily or twice daily practice of basic counting / letter recognition games, etc. if you have the resources. Not sure what your policy on IPP/IEPs is, but if the SENCo doesn;t think she should have an IPP, I would keep a record of what inut you have been giving, and any steps of imrovement (even if they are very small). I would also mention to her parents if you haven't already that you are concerned- maybe they could take a few magnetic letters/ practice counting stairs/ cups etc. at home?

I keep a monitoring sheet on her documenting everything we do with her. Her parents are aware of my concerns and assure me that they do lots at home - whether or not this is true i don't know!

Lola,

Obviously you are in England and I'm assuming Reception? I'm just wondering how old this child actually is? Here in Scotland things are a little different - some of my children at playgroup will be 5 soon - they won't even be starting school until August and then probably won't be going through any formal teaching of literacy until after Christmas. Could it be that this child is young and needs time to develop? :o

Yeah its a possibility. She is 5 and has been in full time schooling since sept. i suppose i compare her to others in my class and when i do this it is just frightening how so far behind she is.

There is a current move towards not putting children on the SEN register until year1 to allow for te individual rates at which children mature/ develop. If, however, this little girl is 5 already it does sound as if it is more likely that has other issues. What does she do? Can she draw etc. Can you motivate her through other interests? Keep a careful record, as you are doing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)