Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Ict Can Enhance Curriculum Provision

Hi

I am very fortunate to have lots of resources and opportunities to use ICT in my nursery class. We have 2 computers in the class, both fitted with small mouses for small hands. They are on most of the time for the children to use. We use a lot of different programmes - some that the school has purchased but I use a lot of stuff from cbeebies website and I also make my own powerpoint slides to go with any topics we are doing. So the children just choose to sit at the computer and play whichever programme I have set up or they will ask me for a specific one and we set that up. At the beginning of the year we do a lot of mouse skills and simple programmes for them to learn the basics and now they are extrmemly competent (much more than me!!)

We also have a digital camera which the children are allowed to use to take their own pictures and of course we use it to record evidence of children's learning. We have a large selection of programmable toys like the beebots and other roamer type of robots. I have just been using them this week and the children have really got the hang of trying to use the arrows and programme it to follow a little course.

We have walkie talkie's and also an interactive whiteboard that we use at group time and story time as well as putting programmes on that the children can use on their own. Although it can be easy to rely on it for the 'wow' factor, but I always keep in mind that for me nothing is better than a well told story by an adult. Its a great form of interaction and communication and much better than watching a big screen with a cartoon story - plus most of my children watch a lot of TV at home and its good for them to be involved in the telling of a great story, rather than just sitting and watching the big screen. It doesn't always allow you to stop and start and tailor a story to your particular audience in a way that reading the story yourself does.

We have also just ordered little hand held camcorders for the children called 'digiblues'. I have seen them in action and they are great. The children can use them to record things themselves. They are especially good for when you go on trips and the children can use them. Then when you get back you can see how they experienced the trip through 'their own eyes' and you can all watch it together on a tv or whiteboard screen. I'm looking forward to using them anyway. They are not cheap - about 80 pounds but hopefully worth it!!

I seem to have waffled on a bit - but hope that helps!!

:o

We have a digiblue camera Our Early Years provided each setting in the area with one last year

A very useful piece of I T

Its very sturdy It has to be in our setting!

Its also good for learning journey info

Rosina

Digital Blue also do microscopes - these are great, chn. can bring in things from inside or outside to look at I think its 10x, 20x and 60x. Its great with the IWB. Minibeasts are great to look at! You can take still or moving images, the worm was fascinating, you could see the blood pulsing along its body (I'm fascinated by that sort of stuff anyway!). Its good for looking at materials too, we've taken close-up photos of things, printed and laminated them and chn. have to match picture to object. Lots of uses, one of my favourite pieces of ICT equipment.

Hi

We have some good software that the children have access to.

Mouse in the house - really bright colours and good for younger ones

Simple city and simple maths - these have a good mixture of games, video clips creative activities and are more suitable for slightly older pre-schoolers

Sue

Sorry just re-read the topic again, so original post didn't answer your question. I think the computer can allow children to see things that they might never see any other way. I recently looked on the web at some stuff on the BBC all about the Amazon and rainforests. Vidoe clips of the wildlife was wonderful and the children were fascinated, much more impressive than pictures in books.

Sue

Oooo I am going to read this with interest I still have a 1000 word essay to complete on the benefits of ICT in the Foundation Stage.

:oxD The digiblue comments have remided me of uni last week. Theres an image in my head of the tutor pointing it at a student, and belive me it wasn't very nice. :( I thought the digiblue was interesting but I think for early years its a little hard to master, I would use it for KS1 and above.

Beth

We have the digiblue camera - the only problem with it is that it doesn't record much before you have to download it to a PC. The older children (4years) understand that they need to keep the button pressed in but it is difficult for younger ones to master. :)

Thank you for all your suggestions, I hadn't thought of the microscopes they sound great. Thank you for all the other ideas as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)