Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Things Work

We have done a topic on how things work. This is great for getting in your ICT.

We had remote control cars, remote control dinosaurs, telephones, toy microwaves, toy kettle etc.

We also purchased a load of disposable cameras. The children were allowed to take photos of what they wanted in the setting. We then had them developed and made them into a book for the book corner.

Thanks for that Brenda.

Along those lines, I had a discussion with my manager today about the evaporation experiment I have been trying to plan. I told her of my concerns regarding the use of a kettle in the room with the children. She shrugged her shoulders and said if the children don't learn about them and don't see one 'close up in action', then they will never know about them, which will be even more dangerous than having a kettle in the room, supervised.

Well, when you put it like that... xD

Just made me smile that a) I'm allowed to do things like this at my new nursery and :( how blatantly obvious that statement was, but something I would not have considered. :o

Edited by Clare

Great ideas i will definately do something similar to cover the kuw point of why things happen and how things work point

For my course I have just let some children use my digital camera to photograph what they wanted, it was great, I was able to print out the images (feet, table legs, books! :D ) and extend the learning the next day with recall and discussion about the technology - this was with 3 year olds!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)