Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Why Things Happen And How Things Work?

Im after a bit of help here. I have been checking off our long term plans this afternoon and have found that wew have not covered the point in KUW of asks questions about how things work and why things happen. I have been thinking about it and think it is quite hard to plan for. How do others cover this goal?

Thanks in advance

Lola

This is one that we don't really plan for. It is easily assessed through lots of observations of groups discussions and activities. Hope that helps.

We use our 'finding out' area for these sort of activities. Recently we have had broken clocks, various toys (McDonalds ones) that move in different ways. We have an upside down trike in our garage area at the moment - lots of discussion about how turning the pedals makes the wheel go round. We try to think of group activities / resources that are interesting for the children to explore and sometimes fit in with our theme- often easier said than done!

It's not something we plan for but I find I can usually tick it off for groups of the children if we put torches out because they love taking the batteries out and putting them back together and can always explain why the light comes on and what makes them work.

Guest Wolfie

Play with magnets covers that one nicely too - and we also regularly used our collection of MacDonalds toys to explore how things worked, the children loved that!

For why things happen, any cooking/freezing activities cover the effects of heat and cold well.

For why things happen? you could cover that next week if you're making Easter Nests -melting chocolate we start with a chocolate button in their hand

As for how things work? my temperamental laptop and IWB gives plenty of opportunities for my children to ask me if I've got the cables attached properly, if you don't plug it in the batteries run down and it will start beeping again!!! :oxD

I also get a puppet out and tell them it's forgotten how to use Beebot - they are very keen to help the puppet even down to where the screwdriver is kept to put the batteries in.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)