Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Rhymes

Hi

I am new to reception this year and have inherited a topic on Nursery Rhymes but must admit that it didn't really get off the ground. Just looking at next years plans. Before I ditch it has anyone got any inspiration for this topic?

Thanks

Nursery rhymes is a fab topic and it can cover all the ELG's - we've done it several times over the years and most children are familiar with at least a handful of them. Don't ditch it!

I'll post one of our brief plans and hopefully others will be really generous and post some that worked well for them.

12345_once_I_caught_a_fish_alive.doc

Guest Wolfie

I agree, it can be a great topic. My advice would be not to try and cover too many rhymes, it's better to focus on a few and really go to town on them. Hickory, Dickory Dock was one that we got a lot out of, including a lovely exploration of some old clock parts that I bought very cheaply on Ebay!

I also did a rhymes bag that we used at circle time - it had some props in that related to specific rhymes and the children took turns to pull one out and "Name that Rhyme!"

Oh and we also did Baa Baa Balck Sheep and I managed to find someone wiling to come in and show the children how a spinning wheel worked and how to "card"(?) the wool. All the children had a go at both and were completely absorbed. Watching the spinning wheel was addictive and very calming!

Edited by Wolfie

One of my favourite themes! Here's a copy of my medium term pacer - I keep these really brief. If there's any weeks that grab your fancy I'm happy to share my weekly plans which are much more detailed. :)medium_term_plan.doc

Edited by Guest

Thanks for your ideas

i'm off work with chicken pox at the moment :o so in between the odd crafty scratch trying to get head round all those jobs that need doing but there is never the time. I'll make sure I give nursery rhymes another go, Im sure itll be better once ive tweeked the planning

Guest Wolfie

Oooh, Dawn I sympathise with you - I had chicken pox as an adult too, I have never felt so ill in all my life, it's not good is it?!

Hope you feel better soon! :)

We do nursery rhymes every year as our first topic. I agree with Wolfie - we usually cover about 5/6 nursery rhymes over the term - staying with one for about 2 weeks.

Some ideas:

Wheels on bus - design and make buses, draw maps/pictures of places have been to on the bus (or in car for other children!), wheel prints, bus role-play, counting song/game with one more person getting on the bus each time.

Incey Wincey / Miss Muffet - minibeast hunt, draw/weave/sew spiders webs, Incey wincey game (a great 3D version was shown on another post), writing letters from Miss M to the spider.

Sing a song of 6p - make jam tarts, taste bread & honey, counting money, wash & dry clothes, castle role-play.

I usually end up with more ideas than I need and have to be careful to restrict what I plan.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)