Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Detectives -topic

Don't know if this would work - but I did a history investigation with a Y5 class once where we 'found' some bags and the children had to look through the contents and try to deduce information about the owners. Although this was for a KS2 class it could be made relatively simple. For instance - a school bag containing a Barbie doll, a simple story or non fiction book about cats, bobbles, sandwiches and a drink - the bag belongs to a girl, who likes Barbie and cats, probably has longish hair(?) and has school dinners. Clues could be made as easy or ambiguous as you like.

Harricroft.

• 1 month later...

Sorry- was very vague!

Detectives as a topic is too. Basically you can investigate anything. I am going to link it to homes and look at habitats for animals as well as our homes.

Also going to look at colours. Any further ideas would be appreciated!

:D

Hi there!

Cybertwin's idea for wanted posters reminded me of something we did in role play when we looked at police - I made lots of facial features available - the covers of magazines such as Nursery World are good for this- and sheets of plain paper with a basic face shape drawn on it. The children can then make their own 'identikit' picture!

Sue :D

Oooh!! Now this seems like a really exciting topic!! :D Pity its so late and my brain is already addled!! :o You can give the children sets of 'clues' about almost anything and get them to guess what it is. (I have feathers, only come out at night, like to eat mice etc.) Or build up a scenario and ask them what they think has happened. Probably best to chose something with some factual basis as a starting point. Will think about this and get back to you!! :) This could end up being really interesting with lots of input from the kids. Have fun! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)