Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toilet Training Help!

Hi,

Ive got a 3 yrs old with delayed language who is dry for most of the day in nappies, and is happy to be in underpants, and to sit on the toilet, but will not have a wee at all. We have been trying with parental support for a few weeks now, but he just will not do anything on the toilet at all.

We have made the area specially appealing to him, and he likes this, but will still hold it in, and has requested his nappy on one occassion, with legs crossed.

We are sure he is ready, and can obviously hold it in for long periods, but am concerned if he doent learn to let it out soon he will develop problems, or a fear of going to the toilet.

We have also tried him standing in case he has seen dad go, and would make it more appealing, but still no.

Has anyone else had similar problems? What did you do? any advise?

Thanks

My own son doesn't speak very clearly and he was 3 1/2 by the time I finally got him potty trained 3 months ago. He could hold it for England and it was only perseverence that worked for us but he's now dry day and night!

Karrie

my nephew was the same and I have had one or two boys in my setting who wouldnt go unless it was in their nappy it seems to be a common boy problem??

we tried to encourage them to use the toilet/potty but nothing seemed to work I can understand your concerns with because there is also a language delay but my only advise would be dont let it stress you be patient, my nephew and the two boys in our setting seemed to grow out of it but it was in their time (like Karries son at about 3 1/2)

strangly I cannt say I know of any girls who did this :o

The only thing stressing me out is that it was mentioned to me that by not being...not sure willing is the right word, but hope you know what i mean...to use the toilet, he might cause himself pain, or even an infection.

Its nice to know that it perseverence works though, and i have noticed that a lot of delays are "boy things" in general, bless. :)

I have a girl (just over 3) at the moment who will hold all day - she is constipated and when she wees she sometimes pushes out poo - so rather than poo and it hurting, she will hold and hold - she now has a water infection! Advise parents to get a medical check rather than assuming it's a normal boy thing!

Doc told parents that if it was medically ok, then she's probably controlling her environment with this and, so long as she doesn't seem distressed, best ignored and left to go her own way until it just clicks

Sarah x

Hi

Are you sure you have full parental support? One of my nursery nurses worked wonders with a full time two year old for a whole week following her mams wishes only to be told that mam had put her in nappies at the weekend as she had had one accident and she needed to go shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the replies. Still not much progress made. We are following the childs lead at the moment. He requested his nappy back a few times, and was holding it in and complaining of pains in his side. Although the other day, after he had a wee in it, he requested his nappy off. We are waiting a visit from the continence nurse for some guidance, but the child is starting to notice that a wet nappy is not as comfortable as a pair of clean dry undies so fingers crossed.

I think i will advise the parents to go to the doctors though, as i think it may give them peace of mind to rule out a medical problem with the pains. Thanks.

Have never tried them but you can get stickers that are stuck inside the toilet bowl for little boys to aim at. When they hit the target the character changes colour. Had a free sample around somewhere but can't find it at the moment.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)