Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs

Hi

I have a member of my staff who is doing the degree at the local college, she was told yesterday that all staff will need to be level 3 in 2008, is this correct? Then what about a supervisor, then the manager, i'm already considering doing the degree etc to get EYPS status but should my supervisor be considering doing the 4, and my staff the 3 as they are only level 2. i'm confused

Hi simcity

Here is a link to the new statutory framework. Sec 1 :31 page 29 gives the legal requirements for qualifications. They are the same as before-supervisors and managers must have a level three and all other staff a level two.

Linda

Not sure if this answers your question

Early Years Foundation Stage

Q21: The EYFS will require supervisors in all settings to be qualified to level 3. This is new requirement for settings providing sessional care - where the current requirement is that the manager must be qualified to level 3 and half other staff must be qualified to level 2. Will there be any support for providers in meeting this requirement?

A21: Local authorities will be expected to prioritise funding from their General Sure Start Grant (GSSG) for such training. The EYFS requirements for ratios and qualifications reflect our ambition to have a more highly qualified workforce to improve outcomes for children. In addition, a £5000 quality premium is payable, through the £250m Transformation Fund in 2006-08, to full day care settings employing graduate professional leaders. EYFS training - for all staff in the setting - is a priority use for this quality premium, complementing the funds already provided through GSSG.

Thanks for your replies, i have printed that page off, just cant understand why she was told this at the college. She told the other staff they needed to be level 3 today they were not amused as they are happy with their level 2.

That wasn't too much different to what I heard actually. I was told that Level 2 staff were being phased out and that the level 3 as it stands now would become the new 'level 2'. So those currently with level 2 would have to re-train to level 3 to keep their jobs. Thanks for the links as at least it has cleared that up in my mind too!

These are footnotes from the cwdc site not sure if they help

1. Based on the Children’s Workforce Strategy, the following roles can be linked to qualifications levels:

* Level 2 - assistant early years practitioner

* Level 3 - early years practitioner

* Level 4 - senior early years practitioner

* Level 5 - assistant early years professional

* Level 6 - early years professional at an equivalent level to qualified teachers

* Level 7 - leader/manager

I have had a visit from our training mentor this morning. Marions posts are what i have been told today. Sounds like a lot of cash is being thrown towards training or is it carrots being dangled? what ever it is if it helps the childrens early education then it will be a good thing.

Yet further up the page there is this paragraph

While recognising the diversity of the early years workforce the CWDC believes that

practitioners with early years professional status should be in all children’s centres offering childcare by 2010, and in every full day care setting by 2015

all those working in full day care settings should be qualified at Level 3 by 2015

all supervisors in full day care settings, sessional care and out of school childcare settings should be qualified at supervisory level (Level 3)

all other staff in these settings should be working towards relevant qualifications and be well supported

The part states that those roles can be "linked" to the qualifications.

I don't doubt that eventually this will be the route they take, if they actually have enough money to do this, but at present it looks as though the statutory framework for the EYFS still states level two for 50% of staff and level 3 for those in a supervisory position.

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)