Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help

Hope this is the right place

I am the deputy head in a primary school and run the Foundation Unit

I have been at the school for a long time and really enjoy the school

I love my job, love being with the kids

last week the head got a new job and it looks like I will be asked to be acting head

I really should be over the moon - I will be able to take all my great Foundation experience through the school

If I could work out what is going to happen to my Unit and all my mates that I work with

I know it is really pathetic - I've even started stroking my planning!!!!!

Help give some of your wonderful words of wisdom

Jo

oooh, I'll leave the response to someone who has maybe been in the same or similar position. Just wanted to say good luck with whatever happens. :D

Peggy

I have recently been in a similar situation to where you are now in that i went from teaching to a supernumery role and at first it was tough going i missed my children and i missed classroom life, I even missed all the planning and next steps!!!!!. But i began to realise that i can still have all these things and the opportunities that have come my way in building up new relationships and giving me new challenges have kept my love and my motivation for what i do alive. I would say give it a go and like me you might be pleasantly suprised at how easily you make the transition. good luck in whatever you decide and keep us posted on your progress x jojom x

Hi Josie

Why do you think you will be asked to be acting head and if so for how long do you think this position will last?

It is a wonderful experience to be asked but it is also a lot of responsibility and perhaps you do not want this? It is also quite scary and lonely up there at the top sometimes and not always easy to work in this capacity with people you know in a different one.

It can also be quite difficult to step back once a head has been appointed. I have not done eitherof these things but have watched it happen.

Whatever you decide make sure it is the right one for you!!

Good luck.

Guest tinkerbell

My Head retired last summer and we knew for a while that the job would be coming up and I was asked by people if i would apply for it.I am doing the NPQH (you do need to be on it or have done it to be a HT)and I felt quite capable of 'going for it 'but i decided not to for a number of reasons

I love my job working with the children and adults.I didn't want the responsibility of headship at the time...might do in the future.

If its acting head I would go for it because you will get a good taste of what it would be like and you would be in an excellent position to know whether to apply for the job when it is advertised.You have nothing to lose..I would go for it, dip your toe in the water...

Tinkerbellx

Edited by tinkerbell

Hallo and a big thank you to all for all your advice

The responsibility bit doesn't worry me - well used to it I suppose

Still not clear in my head but getting lots of support from lots of people

Have just had my school based assessment on NPQH so thats fine

Anyway will keep you up to speed

Jo

Jo

As a foundation unit worker with a head who came from a secondary background I can only say I'd LOVE to have you as head teacher!

Its not called the Foundation stage for nothing and I think the opportunity to promote and share the wonder of FS, throughout the rest of the school is golden.

Not sure if this helps at all with your querey but good luck if you are offered the post and I really hope you consider taking it.

Lucyx

• 1 month later...

Well they did ask me and I am going to do it.

Have spent a lot of time mulling it all over and it finally happened last thursday. Everyone at school has been great offering support all the way.

Now trying to sort out the future for all - FU and the school!!

Still stroking my planning but determined to keep my feet firmly in Foundation and have asked all my mates to smack my legs if I get ideas above my station.

I am passionate about the school and determined it will just get better and better

wish me luck

Jo