Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Attention/concentration Games

Hiya

I have a small group of children in my reception class who generally find it very very very hard to concentrate/listen/pay attention. It is driving me and my TA round the bend! Most, but not all are either EAL/SEN therefore understanding is often a problem.

Does anyone have any good ideas for games/activities we can play to help them develop these skills - at the moment they are either completely unresponsive, sitting blankly or completely disrupting everyone else in the class during carpet times. Its not even any better when they are in a small group!

I have been using the Foundations of literacy book, little book of listening, but I find sometimes the activities don't work as they don't understand!

I really hope someone can help - at the moment we are getting nowhere fast1

Amanda

What about simple games like Kim's game? I have made loads of games such as matching pairs and one the children played today which is matching dogs and bones. Each dog has a patterned collar and they each have a bone with the same pattern. The children have to match them up-simple but ours really enjoyed it. It's good for turn taking and having to wait for your turn as well as concentration.

Linda

I can heartily recommend the SALLEY Programme (Structured Activities in Language & Literacy in the Early Years). It is heavily subsidised by our LEA who also deliver the training and give you the pack (£150 value). I use it with my 3 & 4 year olds but it would be very suitable for Reception and it also is fab for supporting SEN.

We have Lola too! She is just the right size for little hands. We also have a puppy, called Paws, who is about the same size and is Lola's best friend!

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)