Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Oooooooo I'm........

beth1

fed up with this new job I have taken on. I am being treated like a trainnee nursery nurse! :o I am not allowed to use my own intitaive, I would rather go unemployed than work at this place. No contract, conditions of employment or how much I will get paid, I keep asking them what I am doing at this place. xD

I think this is a professional critical incedent and not just my feelings as I know what I see happening to me is wrong. :) Ooo feel better for a rant, sorry people. :D

Beth

Just a thought but could you give Citizen's Advice a call for some help? Would they be able to bring any pressure to bear on your employer, i.e. make them give you a contract or at least tell you your rate of pay??? You do have rights but having never been in your position I'm not sure quite how you find out........ Don't give up - we're all behind you!

when you where offered the job was nothing put in writing eg pay hours e.t.c a contract can take a while to sort out if it needs to go through a personnel department. I would have thought you could ask for a job description and specifications to see what is expected of you. With this been a new job they may be giving you time to settle in before they start giving you resposibility for doing things from there point of view they may noy want to put too much on you to soon. Maybe you could have a chat and explain that you have settled in well and would be quite happy to help them out by taking on more responsibility. Good Luck Hope it works out.

I didn't think contracts were given until 13 weeks after employment commenced? I might be wrong but this is what I have been told in every job I have ever had.

Sorry that it's not going too well for you Beth, but its early days and things may improve as you get properly settled in.

I too have (more often than not) been treated as a trainee and it can be very demoralising, especially in view of your further qualifications and training with the FD. I have learnt that sometimes it is best to keep quiet about things, but I'm like you and I have to speak out if I see something wrong. I can't help it, but I am reading Daniel Goleman's latest book about Emotional Intelligence and it covers things like this in it. I was reading it for study purposes, but I am finding increasingly that I can actually learn something from it.

Added to this, I have written a reflective journal on my latest experiences, as well as a development plan, SWOT analysis and personal competencies questionnaire that I will include in my management portfolio. I am slowly discovering that whatever happens, good or bed, I can turn it into a piece of work for my portfolio.

I agree with LJW and makybe speaking to the CAB. Alternatively, you could try getting in touch with ACAS who will tell you exactly what you can expect in terms of employment laws, contracts etc (can you tell I've been down this road before??)

Good luck Beth.

ummm now there are expecting me to get from one creche, eat lunch and start work in less than 10 mins yes I mean 10 mins!!!! xD I know this sounds bad but I just want to walk out and go back on Jobseekers again. :o

The sooner I find a job the better, I will just tell them that sorry I have gained a perminate job etc etc....

Beth

Im sorry you are not having a great time lately, and really hope you find a good job soon. It doesnt sound bad, it sounds like you are doing what's best for you which is perfectly understandable and you should not feel guilty about that! But i do think you should tell the truth when you leave, their expectations are unrealistic and you cannot continue to work like that without burning yourself out, so are looking elsewhere. Why should you have to lie, you are doing nothing wrong, and they need to realise that they are.

I really do hope you get a break soon! :)

Edited by alis2son

Thank you for all your support its nice to feel cared for even if its online. :o

Alis2son thanks for your advice I think I will say this when I leave and I must ring up CAB or visit them tommorow night.

Beth

Hi Beth

Take care

But it really is a very very supportive place to be isn't it

You will find what you want just hold on to your dream

Jo