Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Boys & Outdoor Provision

Guest Denno

Guest Denno

I am concerned about our underachieving boys and am researching into how I may be able to improve their learning through our developing outdoor environment. We are in the process of creating an environmental garden area adjacent to the hardstanding outdoor provision and would welcome anyones ideas or experiences relating to what boys prefer to do and how to plan for raising their achievement through this. I'm new to nursery and am in an inner city school. Our boys just seem to want to chase each other and flit from one activity to another. Its quite difficult to get them to investigate or explore once outside yet they choose to spend most of their time in the outdoor environment. We have continuous outdoor provision throughout the year whatever the weather which is on the whole really good. Help me please!!! :o

Hi Denno and welcome to the forum.

I can't really help you with this topic as we don't have an outdoor area (and am really jealous of those who do!) but I know there has been discussions about this sort of thing before. I'm sure cleverer people will be able to put in links to point you in the right direction.

Certainly I have a problem with several of my boys who flit about too and prefer to play on the physical apparatus which is always available in the hall. I do encourage them to do other things too but don't always have the time. (I work on my own with a duty helper)