Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do You Get Direction From Management?

:o

Hello all,

Just wondered how much direction you get from your managers? I seem to be left to my own devises and am struggling a bit without any help. My FS Co-ord is also the Deputy Head and has no time to give me. I am on my own in the FS so no other teacher to discuss planning, timetabling or assessment with and am getting a bit fed up. I am also fairly new to teaching and so have only a limited amount of experience to draw on. I would like to have regularly meetings with the FS Co-ord to go over progression, any areas for improvement and at least get some feedback from time to time but this never happens despite many requests. Any discussions are quick chats before/after school which are always rushed.

Am I being unreasonable? How am I suppose to develop as a teacher and improve if I never get any direction?

Claire

Do you have any cluster meetings with other FS teachers in your area? A couple of times each term, the pre-school practitioenrs and reception teachers get together for a couple of hours to share practice and ideas, moderate, and catch up with local/national FS news. If there is no such thing, why not ask your local authority advisory team to set it up?

Guest Wolfie

I don't think you're being unreasonable to expect some kind of regular meeting, feedback and exchange of ideas/developments/ practice from your FS co-ordinator. The title implies that she/he has some kind of management responsibility so he/she needs to be communicating on a regular planned basis in order to manage effectively.

Hi Claire

I know what you mean about planning by yourself, it is really hard.

I am FU co-ordinator and Deputy head but still like to get feedback

Trying the LA for a network is a good idea or approach nearby schools?

Try the DHT and ask them for a school to approach - might give them a nudge

good luck

Jo

:)

Thanks all. I have been trying to get a regular meeting set up for the last year and nothing has happened. I was an NQT last year and didn't get any mentor meetings (same teacher involved) so have resigned myself to doing it all myself. They did get me some help from the LEA last year and I try to go to the Early Years subject meetings that happen termly which have been invaluable. Unfortunatley it is not enough and I am wary of approaching any other schools as last time I visited someone my HT took exception to what she told me and she complained about this teacher to the LEA! This was despite the fact that my HT had arranged the visit and that the teacher is also one of the FS Profile moderators so is obviously experienced and trusted in the borough.

Being proactive and using your initiative is not encouraged in this school and I don't want to cause any other teacher a problem. Only solution is to find another job in a school that nurtures its staff as well as children.

Claire its lonely out there when you feel like that and very demotivating. I can only agree that you need to look carefully at moving on somewhere where you will be better supported. In the meantime keep talking here. Can you chat to your early years advisor, she/he may be able to help?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)