Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Need To Have A Quick Moan

Beau

Sorry,

Let me just get this off my chest and I'll feel so much better. :( The very committee members who accused me back in September of being completely insensitive to their financial crisis and trying to drive the playgroup to bankruptcy sat there last night and said-

"Do we have to do anymore fundraising we've got loads of money in the bank? Can't we got on lots of expensive trips and buy nice presents for the children because they've had so little this year." :o

I've been slaving week in week out - many hours UNPAID - to provide a stimulating environment for their children with resources which are limited and rather tired and worn out. Then they wanted to blow all the money on treats for their children. Can I just add that we don't live in a deprived area - all of the families at playgroup are what I would call reasonably well off.

Needless to say I argued that trips are very nice, and there usually is ONE 'big' trip in the summer term, but I felt it would benefit all the children more if we spent some of this money on badly needed resources which would also benefit more children in the long run. And do you know what the chairperson said?? But you never come to the committee meetings and tell us you want new resources. :( Perhaps I didn't want to appear anymore insensitive than I obviously already was. xD

Anyway, now for the good news. They've agreed I can go and spent £100 on books immediately and I can look through the catalogues and identify resources we need and they'll review how much they'll let me spend at the next committee meeting, but a figure of £1000 was being bandied about last night. :) No doubt they'll all pat themselves on the back and tell each other what a fantastic job they've done of managing the groups finances and how generous they've been, but if I get to spend some money I don't care. They'll all be gone in the summer anyway. :D

Hi Carol, don't think we've spoken before, I'm Sue.

Can REALLY sympathise, I spent around 12 years caught in that position, with never a thank you for what myself and the staff team did for the group. However, the children probably love you to bits and your team know!

Best of all, YOU know, and, as you say, they'll all be gone in the summer.

Enjoy your well earned spend - can I recommend a book? "Pants" by Nick Sharratt - it's really good fun. My pre-schoolers adore it!

Keep smiling, :D:D:D

Sue

Hi Carol,

Who'd have committees if we didn't need to???

You mentioned that you're now off to spend £100 on books - lucky you!

Unfortunately £100 doesn't go very far.

Have you ever seen the 'School Link' catalogues? We run them at our pre-school (and my youngest child's primary does them too), selling to parents. The setting gets commission/free books.

The latest catalogue has sets of books for ages 2+ at huge discounts (e.g. 10 books for £9, usually retailing at £49+). One set of books includes Handa's Surprise (and 5 other decent-ish ones) for £4.99 - Handa's Surprise on its own must usually be at least £3.99. Also, the lovely Ahlberg Red Nose Readers (technically for early readers aged 5+, but so much fun, with such amusing pictures and text, that even the littlies love them) - 16 books for £7.99.

This may be worth looking at.

You can get them on 0870 6077750 (quoting 'School Link')

Unless you know of somewhere cheaper........

Diane.

Yes I have seen the School Link catalogues. I had a rep phone me up and send them out. I thought it looked great and took them to the committee................................................. :o . Too much trouble to do apparently. I think they're all starting to wind down now, as they stand down at the summer.

hi

am comitte run and last sept my lovely comittee said do us a list of what large toys, etc you need and we will see what we can do, last meeting i asked well can i finally buy the things and they said again , dous a list etc. i said i already have and guess what the person i gave it too has lost it!!!!! so here goes again, hopefully this time i will get something done

good luck with your list

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I have seen many of your posts on the under5s site but never posted there myself. Do you have any strategies for coping with changing committees? I love looking through catalogues and could easily lose an afternoon browsing. Sometimes it's so difficult to prioritise items of equipment though. I always end up writing a long list, adding up the cost, fainting and then having to go back and take items off the list. I don't think my present committee have a clue how expensive things are - they're in for a surprise! :o

I have just spent money on lots of new resources for my group. but i'm afraid it comes out of my wages as I have precious little left after paying staff and hall rental! That's where running your own group can be your downfall!! :o My husband moans but I can't help myself! I wanted compare bears, but what good are they without scales, then i wanted other stuff to weigh and then i saw printer pads.... and so and so on, so basically this month I have spent my earnings!!! but as a relatively new group i need to build up a good comprehensive bank of resources, and need to plough back any money that comes in. :)

Its hard isnt it!!

I run a charity committee run pre school. Some years you have a great committe, other times its awful no help at all. Luckily i have a great chair (we started at the same time) and together bought our nursery up to a high standard between us, unfortunatly the chairs daughter moves up to big school after Easter and it terrifys me come the AGM in October who if anyone is prepared to take over a voluntary position like the chair!!!

No one wants to at the moment and at the end of the day if there is none committed to do it either i get someone who dosnt do anything which puts a lot extra workload on me (as if i dont enough already) or technically the pre school closes (unless i take it on soley as manager)

What a job!!!!! :o

Hali

Does the group have to stay as a charity run pre-school for any reason? Like because you are in a church hall or some such? Would it be possible to take it on as your own business? I find it so much easier as owner/manager because the buck stops here. Any decisions made are arrived at by me with input from staff. So any money spending and major decision making can be implemented immediately.

Just a thought!

linda

Hi Linda

Primarily yes its in a church hall although we do pay rent and evidently the church gave £2000 to set it up, in which case that may have to be paid back. We will have to wait and see what happens. :o

Hi Sarah,

Do you have any strategies for coping with changing committees? I love looking through catalogues and could easily lose an afternoon browsing. Sometimes it's so difficult to prioritise items of equipment though. I always end up writing a long list, adding up the cost, fainting and then having to go back and take items off the list. I don't think my present committee have a clue how expensive things are - they're in for a surprise! :o

Hi

strategies for comittees, well i always ask the outgoing one to list all of the ongoing issues that we are currently discussing, ensure i have as many majour descisions detailed that they have been made.

we have sort of almost a business plan together so that incoming comittees have a general idea of what is going on!!

a lot of cooperation is needed, from us and them!! letting them have time to settle in, and sorting out thier wild ideas

also i dont think any comittee have any idea how expensive things are for us,