Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Could You Clarify Some Things For Me!

Could you tell me what you do about the following points:

Writing 4 - Writes own name and other words from memory. I know this will depend on whether you're in to phonics or high frequency words but if you're 'in' to phonics then do you score this if they're writing words phonetically or do you expect them to have a visual recall of the whole word?

Calculating 6 - In practical activities and discussion, begins to use the vocabulary involved in adding and subtracting. They give the example of 'add'. We've been told by advisors etc that 'add' doesn't mean anything and that in lessons we should use words like 'and'. I do sometimes use the word 'add' but the children mostly use the word 'and'. A lot of them also know that you can represent this word with a '+' sign. Likewise for 'equals' - we tend to say 'makes' or 'is' and they know that this can be shown with the '=' symbol. Are these good enough examples or would you be more stringent about strictly correct mathematical vocabulary?

Hi Moose

(Is it just me or is the forum server REALLY REALLY slow tonight?)

Surrey guidelines (again) which I slavishly follow:

For the writing they say 4 words plus own name, 50% minimum correct letter formation. They don't say about accuracy of spelling, but I only accept correct spellings.

For the claculating point the advice is "vocabulary - add [Note this is the FIRST one on the list!], more, plus, take away, subtract, less, makes, altogether, how many, total, etc." i.e. a wide range of vocab, so I use all these expressions at different times.

HTH

Fox :D

How would you differentiate though between visual recall and good phonics though and does it matter? The majority of mine can write a range of CVC words but they're using phonics because that's how I teach - we listen for the sounds we can hear and then think of the letters we need to show those sounds (you need to read that last bit in a teacher voice!).

I guess it comes down to whether they write them "automatically" rather than obviously sounding out as they go along? - Presumably this is how they write their names?

Durham guidance (completely different from Surrey xD .....is it any wonder there are such differences in schools when LA's can't agree!)

Writing 4

The child independently writes at least her/his first name as well as some other words (at least 3 of 2 or more letters). These may be key words currently featured in literacy sessions and/or words that are important to her/him such as ‘mum’, ‘dad’, ‘cat’, and perhaps the names of other family members.

The letters must be recognisable but need not all be correctly formed.

Calc 6

The child can use and understand the mathematical vocabulary associated with addition and subtraction from the Numeracy Strategy list for Reception and including ‘plus’, ‘counting on’, ‘add’, ‘more than’, ‘subtract’, ‘minus’, ‘count back’ and ‘find the difference’.

:(:(:o

Ooh, Marion! "Find the difference" - plenty of Y1 children struggle with this one!!! Still, it's good to extend the more able :D

I used to bang my head against the table in Y2 trying to teach 'find the difference between' - we must be very behind in East Sussex!

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm taking Magenta's word as gospel re. the writing because it's what I wanted to hear!

So with the Calculating if you hear them, a number of times, say, '2 and 1 is 3' and/or they can answer questions like, 'I've got 4 bikes and and 3 scooters, how many vehicles have I got altogether?' then you'd award the point?

Guest tinkerbell

Iv'e just posted a rant about thes silly points .I told my LEA advisors how ridiculous it was that we had to have meetings to discuss the wording of the statement before we could acessthe childrens work!Because there are so many 'bits' in each statement it seems like my children make no progress some terms!

Ted Wragg had it right i think.

Ted Wragg The lunacy of reception-class tickboxes Schools EducationGuardian_co_uk.htm

Tinkerbellx

Edited by tinkerbell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)