Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Understanding Children's Speech

I could do with some advice on a little boy we have at pre-school. He is going to be four in March. He is a bright little boy, with a good vocabulary and understanding. His speech is not always clear however, particularly when he is animated about something .

He does not use personal pronouns yet.

I have mentioned to mother his that we are trying to 'model' correct use as a way of dealing with this particular aspect of language development. She is not particularly worried. I know it is important to let children develop at their own rate but I don't want to have failed this little boy by not giving him any support he might need.

Thank you for any help! Rose

Guest Wolfie

It sounds as though you are doing all the right things and have built up a good relationship with the little boy's parents. You're right, all children's speech develops at very different rates - when my "little boy" (who's now 18!) was four, I was about the only one who could understand him but he was never referred and his speech slowly became clearer and was fine by the time he was five - and there is probably no real problem, but have you got access to an early years SENCO advisor who could give you a second opinion?

Edited by Wolfie

That's what I do, Wolfie. Our Area Senco comes in to visit and gives advice, backs it up in writing so that you have some security. She either confirms what you're doing is adequate or makes recommendations, either to an outside agency, such as Speech & Language Therapists, or She may give you some ideas to help in the group, and arrange another visit to assess progress and/or recommend referral. She would speak to the parent too which I find often helps when the parent may initially have been reluctant to see the problem. Don't forget that you need parental consent to have your Area Senco come and observe tho! Good Luck

(Oops, just realised that I have inferred all Area Senco's are women!! Indeed yours may be a man!)

Edited by Guest

HI

How weird, am just preparing a staff mtg. on speech, language and communication difficulties.

I agree with all the advice given, but would like to add the following into the mix.

If he becomes frutrated that he's not being understood, then introduce some signs to him and just watch out for a speech delay and articualtion problems and just take away any pressure!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)