Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Write Dance

does anyone use Write Dance? Our head has heard about it and has asked me to find out more so wondered if any of you could help.... what is it, how does it work, is it a whole class or individual programme? And how do you rate it?

:o

We have been using Write Dance for almost a term in FS and KS1.

Not sure how its going in KS1 due to staffing problems howevr in FS children enjoy the activities.

For Reception we use the primary programme which includes a slightly bizarre assessment (see the personality comments) but at least you can measure it for those who have senoir mangement who like to do so. It does have lovely music which children enjoy moving to and they seem to like the simple timed structure of the activities. will have to wait until the end of the year to see what difference it makes for those with poorer gross/ fine motor skills.

There is a sepearet nursery pacakge which you can buy which we use. I have to say that after initally using the stories we stopped as children didn't seem to be that bothered about the stories and the characters. However they love the music and action which due to our structure as a unit we follow for two weeks per unit before doing the actual 'scrimbling.' We allocate 10 minutes for the daily actions to music and then have a scrimbling session after two week (this allows for any hiccups to the programme such as staff/ children absences so that they know the movements well. Most of the suggested additional supporting activities are generally good practice gross/ fine motor activities which we generally have available. Any that we don't we provide. The children pick up the actions very quickly and enjoy the simple songs and rhymes that they learn. Children quickly notice if a different adult leads the sessions incorrectly!!!!!!!!!

I have to say that thwere are some are afew children who do not join in unless prompted (clearly doesn't appeal to the learning style, however most children readily participate and have increased in the abilty to participate.

We also run this alongside Brain Gym so hopefully will engage at various levels at devloping fine motor skills and coordination.

I have to say that some of the text does not seem to make sense at times due to the language (I think that the author is Dutch) and you do have to read the text carefully not just somehting you can just pick up and do without preparing.

Lisa

You also need to have extra equipment which I don't have at playgroup at the moment. I bought the book full of enthusiasm but have not had the time to gather together everything needed to get it under way. This thread has now made me feel very guilty! :o

We do "Write Dance" and "patterning" which is like colouring but instead of colouring you fill the picture with eg first week circles then second week straight lines etc. The children love it and whilst write dance improves their gross motor control, patterning helps with formation of letters etc. They choose patterning in their child initiated sessions!

Edited by Guest

nanny Mc Phie would love to see the picture doccument for parents and what is "Patterning" is it part of write dance

:o Lesley

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to feedback - having dabbled with write dance programme in past, this topic renewed my enthusiasm for making the activities work within our nursery.

Like Lisa.E I had found children weren't very interested in the stories but liked the music. Thanks to Lisa for her idea of using the music and action for 2 weeks - this links really well with our brain gym / activate programme which runs on 2 week basis.

We have just used the Sandy Hill programme for 2 weeks and today completed our scrimbling session - small group (10) of youngest children in nursery (just 3) and they all responded really well and most importantly enjoyed it.

Debbington - some of this group have SEN requiring some 1-1 support but for this activity I had just one adult today and they participated well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)