Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratios

our toddler room has 7 children

4 children are over 2

3 children aged between 22 - 23 months

do i class these as a 1 - 3 ratio with 3 staff

or do i class them as 1 - 4 for the children over 2's and 1 - 3 for the children under 2's which is 2 staff

im not sure how to go with this and i would be grateful for your advice on this

Hiya Jojom

I would class it as two 1:3 for the 3 under twos and !:4 for the over twos. I am supernumery though so i am available to cover toilet breaks etc

Jayne

I have been told my Ofsted recently and when I went on a 'Meet the National Standards course', that you must work your ratio to that of the youngest child, so even if you had one under 2 in the room you would need to have a ratio of 1:3.

This can prove expensive, as for instance in my setting our two rooms are mixed together (18 months to 3 years), this means that we have to employ an extra person, even though sometimes we may only have one under 2 in.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear, but better to be safe than sorry, especially in case somebody was to make a complaint or there was an accident.

I would say the same as JayneD.

We now move children up to the toddler room when we feel they are ready. I spoke to Ofsted about this, and we talked about ratios, and they said to adhere to 1:3 for under 2s, and 1:4 for over 2s.

If you have more staff then that's even better!

Hiya

Ofsted were fine when they came out, mine were mainly 2and 3 yrs mixed before i moved my 3 yrs over to the school but my ratios were 1:4 for 2's and 1:8 for 3's

I have a meeting with my early years support team monday morning i will check with them and get back.

JayneD :)

• 2 weeks later...

Once again it seems it depends on the Ofsted Inspector. We were definately told by Ofsted it had to be 1:3 in a mixed group, which actually means I have to employ another member of staff, which as 'Chill' indicated, would have an impact on many settings working to this ratio.

Sorry if I worried anybody, but just wanted to let you know what we were told. I think I must just get all the 'jobsworth' people come to my setting.

That is really odd. Many pre-school in my area take a limited number of children from 2 1/2, and non have an overall ratio of 1-4. No problems with rations in their OfSted inspection either.

Quite agree with alm we have just been inspected today and there were no problems with our ratios we have mixed groups but make sure there are 4 2 year olds to one adult and the other adults cover the 3 year olds

Deb