Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice - B23 Planning And Daily Record Forms

Gill_Oliver

We have recently seperated our 0-2 year olds into 0-1's and 1-2's. The 0-1's have now moved downstairs into a new room which has left the 1-2 year olds with a lot more space and it has made me think again about our planning. We have four different play rooms - the first room contains role play, home corner and small world activities. The second contains construction, sensory/heuristic play, shape sorters, books (the toys are rotated daily). The third room is purely for messy activities and contains sand/water trays, a table for activities and a bulders tray. The last room is a sensory room (currently being developed) and has a soft play house, ball pool, activity wall panels and a slide. My concern is that we should be planning more and linking these activities to the components. Currently we rotate the toys so there are different things out each day, we have different activities in the messy area e.g today we had sand, water, cornflour on the table and lentils with diggers in our builders tray. Our current planning consists of our topics and birth to three matters policy as our long term plans. Our medium term plans are very similar month to month and we were helped by early years in doing these. (I have attached a copy). Our short term plans are based on our daily routine and have blank spaces were we fill in what we had out in the messy room that day and the physical activities that day e.g. parachute, balls and hoops. We do follow the same topic as the rest of the nursery each month although I find it quite difficult and we mainly focus our display boards on the topics and follow the childrens interests. For example aside from the display boards all the mark making/painting etc is the childrens own work and not based around a topic e.g a 2.5 year old may be able paint their own version of a sheep but a 1 year old would have no idea. One of things we plan to do is to take lots of photos of the children in the various areas and display them with links to the b23 matters framework. We currently split the children into keyworker groups and they rotate around the various rooms during the course of the day. We are thinking of changing our keyworker groups into similar age groups as the days just dont seem to be working. e.g the older children love to engage in painting and the younger children get bored easily and like to torment the older ones. I would be really interested to hear how others are planning for this age group and any suggestions people may have. Also does any one have any interesting daily report forms that they would be willing to share. Ours seem a little dull and don't make any reference to b23 matters at all. They list breakfast, snacks, lunch and tea and whether or not they ate all etc. There is a list of toys etc that were out that day and also sleep times and nappy changes. Our only probelm is that some days we have 25 children in so it has to be something we can bulk print. e.g all the meals are pre printed on the form and staff just write if the children have eaten etc.

Any help appreciated

Gill

Completed_Medium_Term_Plan_1_2.doc

Hi Gill

I'm sure someone with far more experience than me will add a reply to your post but here goes.

We have only been running our provision for 2-3's since Oct (new registration attached to school nursery) and only offer morning sessions.

We don't do any topics with this age group but simply follow the children's interests. Planning is being developed starting from Long term which consists of continuous area of provision plans (example attached). End column allows for a kind of MTP - as we observe children's interests we might plan to set out particular activities or add resources over a period of time.

Daily planning sounds similar to yours - an outline of our routine with details of activities/resources set out.

Children's observations are kept in their profile books along with photos. There is a page in the back of each where we record any notes about personal planning e.g. activities/resources planned in response to observations.

Our observation forms simply have spaces to record what child did at different times during session e.g. as you rotate round rooms it might have a box saying 'when i was in the role-play room I...' However we don't observe every child each day.

cr___art.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)