Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Our Topic Is 'books'

Hi, :D

I work in a private day nursery and I am working with the pre-scool children for 6 months to cover maternity leave, I normally work with the 2-3 age group but am looking forward to a change for a little while. Our next months topic is books and I am a little stuck for ideas, does anyone have any ideas please?

Jo F

Our theme next half term is Stories and Nursery Rhymes, so similar to yours. We break it down each week into categories animals/birds, food, numbers, weather, shapes and colours and then finish with other. I haven't started on planning for it yet (!) but will sort it all out at weekend and give you some of our ideas soon.

Hi Libby,

Thanks for the post, :D We plan monthly so we try to have a theme for each week related to the topic, it also fits around the foundation stage, we are looking at CLL development, language for communication, linking sounds and letters and reading. We are also looking at mathematical development for shape space and measure as our sub topic is rectangles. Looking forward to hearing your ideas :D

Jo F

Whatever topic is planned for, children love to make their own books.

For example I have done "my pre-school morning" with a selection of photos to stick in (using the digital camera and printing off mini pictures, up to 35 on A4, in the interests of economy).

I have also done "our walk", "when it snowed", "my friends", etc.

Diane.

Three books that spring to mind are :

The Pocket Dogs (great for rectangles!) and shape/space work because one of the pocket dogs falls out....

Room on the Broom; good for measures-type stuff. Was the broom long enough? You could get a broom (or several of different lengths) and see how many toys will fit. Rhymes are good for your CLL planning.

My Mum and Dad Make Me Laugh; good for patterns, as it's about spots and stripes.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your ideas, it has given me lots to think about, I am not familiar with any of the books mentioned but I will have a search around in the local libraries. We are planning a trip to the library with the children, I am sure I will have some luck.

Jo F :)

• 3 weeks later...

Jo, I have finally got around to sorting out my planning for next term. We are doing Stories and Nursery Rhymes broken down into six weekly themes: Elephants, Mice, Food, Numbers, Colours/Shapes and for the last week ... anything else (e.g. weather, flowers). We will be doing painting (e.g. finger, potato prints, spaghetti, marbles) collage (e.g. Elmer, flower, numbers), junk model houses (3 Bears/3 Little Pigs), wall rubbings, simple mouse finger puppet, music and movement, moving like animals, make sandwiches, fruit tasting, counting/number recognition, comparing sizes, positional language, role play: jungle, pet shop, food shop, 3 bears cottage, toy shop, garden centre.

We have a lot of young children (3 year olds) so we keep activities fairly simple but extending them for the fewer older children.

Hope this helps!

:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)