Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play Solutions - Anyone!?

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as how we can improve our outdoor provision- we have no secure outside area other than the playground and a small covered area just outside my room -therefore if we set up any outdoor play activites all the equipment has to be put away at the end of any session because of playtimes and all the other children playing with it. We also are unable to leave anything out over night as our local teenagers seem to think it's fun to wreck everything!- So at the moment we have planned in a couple of sessions where we all play outside with a variety of activities linked to the curriculum and some small group activites that the TAs will do outside but other than that I feel we're really not providing a suitable learning environment that incorporates outdoor learning. Any ideas gratefully received!

How supportive is your school?

Our year 1 class have a small area (part of the main playground) marked off outside their classroom - just created a border using plant pots etc

During session times they might also use the wider playground area for their outdoor activities but equipment / set up activities are moved within the boundary at playtime and the rest of the school know not to go into this area/use the equipment.

Although we are now more fortunate we did use to have to set up and put away our early years outdoor areas as they were the drop off/pick up points for parents. We found a trolley was really useful - like the type for PE equipment. We set up basic sets of resources on the trolley e.g boxes with balls etc, role-play, mark-making... This could then be wheeled in/out when needed and the children could have free-access to equipment.

I don't know if you will room for any but we have just purchased some lockable outdoor storage units (from sainsbury's vouchers) We also have trollies on wheels to spped up taking things back inside. It is still a pain having to tidy up / put out again though isn't it!

My situation is much the same, suebee and I cant see the answer as I dont have any trolleys or anything to wheel outside. Main school also like our covered area although they are not supposed to access it!! My classroom is also the main access point/ in and out route at playtimes and lunchtimes which makes roping it off really impossible!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)