Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E123

I've just made a start on the first TMA. I've done the first bit (supposed to be 250 words, but I've done 320 - not sure how I can scale it down!).

I've come to realise that to include everything they want you to, with cross-referencing etc, I'm going to struggle to stick to the word limit!!

Has anyone else made a start yet?

Hi there!

I'm not doing it myself, but a good friend started a while ago - I well remember her agonising over how to keep the word count down! Perhaps it's to encourage a concise writing style?? :o

Good luck and keep us informed

Sue

HI :D

Gosh I sympathise with your wordcount problems! I have just finished my FD with the Open University and have done E123, E124,E243,E230 E115 and E215.

With all assignments and ECA's the given word count has always proved somewhat problematic! Seemingly there is never enough word allowance to get in all you want to say/they want you to include/reference/quote etc etc!

As you progress through your studies I think you will find that you get better at writing in a more succinct way. I have spent hours trying to reduce my wordcount without losing any real contentbut it is something that can be done :D

From your figures you are only 70 words over and I think if you literally take what you have written a sentance at a time and see how you can put it into fewer words you will find overall you will lose what you need to. I have even been in the postion where I have taken 'and' out and made one long sentance into two just to save one word!! Over a section or whole TMA losing one or two words here and there really does add up.

Is this your first OU course? my advice would be to try and crack the 'sticking to the word count' early on in your studies - it will really pay dividends in future courses.

Good luck with your studies and hope you manage to 'lose words' :D

Hi

the best way to loose some words is to use bullet points - also try auto summarise in the tools option, this helps you narrow down your main points and loose the rest - you can do it I have both assignments within word limit just got to be careful with your language

Deb

I'm not doing the FD but when I did another degree a few years ago I think they allowed 10% over as a rule of thumb - does that still apply?

The only other tip I can add is to remove all those unnecessary adjectives - 'very' 'good' etc. Most of the time they're unnecessary and many are value judgements at the end of the day.

We have a 10% allowance either way too Weightman. Fortunately for me because I tend to write way too much! I'm doing my FD at Roehampton Uni, so not quite OU though, so it might be different.

My experience of the OU and the 10% rule is that it varies considerably! My foundation degree consisted of 6 courses and a total of five different tutors. The problem is that any individual tutor may be generous and allow 10% for all assignments. When it comes to the ECA this is marked by your own tutor and a second marker - the second marker may not share your tutors view on giving 10%!

I know of students who were allowed 10% by one tutor and assumed this applied to a subsequent course (with a different tutor) and they got penalised for being over the limit.

Just my experience and perhaps a word of warning :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)