Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy Lessons

hi ya, im on my final teaching pracitise and was wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on how the literacy session should look. the teacher im with just does phonics then they complete a sheet? is this right?

i thoguht a literacy session would be reading story to children based on topic then, children exlpore it through play ie reading billy goats gruff then children exlpored story, re telling etc in water, sand with small world etc

if any one can help it would great, just to explain what their tipical literacy session looks like

many thanks

clare

Hi Clare,

Our literacy sessions vary from week to week. I've moved away from the big book idea but will be introducing it in the summer term as we start to implement a proper literacy hour.

I've been doing lots of phonic work and games(have used the Progression in Phonics stuff a lot this year), HFW work, to start with and then the children have spent some time doing a variety of activities such as manipulative activities to strengthen fine motor skills; outdoor activities which are mainly based on gross motor skills; games; ICT activities; play writing in Post Office which is our home corner theme this term. I always have a targeted group working with me who are either doing guided reading or guided/emergent writing.

This year I've changed the way I work numerous times and at last have found a way that works, poor kids!

Jess

thanks Jess, i suppose i just need to give it a go and see how it works if not change it.

if you do not use the big book do you have other opportunites in the day to read to the children?

i really cant get the structure of the literacy hour out of my head and i think it is this that is really getting me confused as it is very different in reception.

Yes I try to do the traditional storytime at the end of the day, most days. Having done the big book literacy hour thing from the spring term onwards for the last few years, it's really nice to get away from it and concentrate more on the phonic work. I also think the children start to tire of Big Books by the time they get to Y2 if they've been given them daily from Reception. Having said that I'm quite looking forward to introducing them next term!

Jess

Clare

I'm sure you've looked at the Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage - I think is really important to take on board the expectation that Literacy and Numeracy "hours" as defined in NLS and NNS are not a requirement in Reception - there is flexibility for different parts to be delivered throughout the day - not in a single unit of time. We plan for the different levels of work, including speaking and listening and these can occur throughout the day - a phonics session - short, sharp and focused, opportunities for motor skills development for handwriting ongoing through many activities; story time, rhymes and big book sharing along with guided reading and writing sessions can all be planned for and put into your day where you see the best links to other learning. We are beginning to introduce some whole class shared reading and writing sessions next term to prepare children for Year 1, but similarly our Year 1 staff are currently looking at how they can adapt their Literacy teaching to suit Foundation ways of working - surely a more sensible approach! You can't do much about that on a teaching practice but for your own future practice it is worth taking time to consider how you will organise your day when you have your own class. Have you asked the class teacher why the children complete a sheet? It sounds dire! Practice like this needs to be challenged - there is too much of it going on still - despite the guidance and Ofsted's new focus for FS evaluations.

Angela

thanks this is all vauable information that i will take on board. im just finding it hard as i am on my final teaching practice but have also accepted a job in reception so im kind of trying to juggle what i will do in september with what the schoool require me to do on teaching practice.

unfortunatly the two are just not meeting as there are many things the class teacher does that i will certainly NOT be doing in september with my own class.

thanks again for the help

clare x

• 1 month later...

Hi clare,

I am currently on my second to last placement in reception and have also been struggling with the structure of the literacy hour. It has been helpful reading the replys to your post and it is reassuring to know there are other students in a similar position. Reception is so different from other year groups! Good luck with your first job!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)