Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursrey Pe

I work in the Nusrey part of a fsu, the reception class do p.e as a formal lesson.

As do the nursery although on different days, my questions is do the nursery need benifit from a formal p.e lesson as im not sure they get any thing from the lesson.

I also find it difficult to think of exciting intesting lessons for the children,so would it be better if we scapped formal P.E and went outside. Im sure the same skills would be achieved.

What do you do in your settings.

Ta Kelly

Hello There,

All I can say is that I work in an FSU and our Reception aged children join class 1 for formal P.E session but our Nursery aged children do not. I ensure that the younger children have daily free flow access to the outdoor play area. When the Reception children are away from the unit doing P.E the younger children use this time to do their write dance and circle games which is planned for.

Hope this helps:)

I agree that physical play outside provides plenty of opportunities for children to progress through most if not all the stepping stones for physical development. Inside, as already mentioned, circle games are valuable. We also use a lot of parachute play and have used games from the Topstart package in the past, particularly for things like spatial awareness.

I agree that a "formal" PE lesson is not appropriate fo this age group.

I teach in a nursery class in a primary school. i started in September and have continued the that was already routine in place, which included a formal P.E. lesson. However I find teaching P.E. in the nursery a nightmare and I previously really enjoyed teaching P.E. on teaching practices. I have continued teaching P.E. as I posted a similar question on here a while a go and recieved quite a different response to the one you have recieved. I'm not sure what the answer is. We are looking as a foundation stage to become a proper unit and work more collaboratively and then I think it would be appropriate for children in the nursery who are ready for a formal p.e. lesson to access it and those who are not to remain benifitting from the many opportunities in class to develop their physical skills.

Elfy

Thanks for the reply's which really ehco what i all ready thought, at the moment i am in charge of the nursery while the teacher is off on long term sick, the teacher in charge of the unit is not likely to go along with the idea of no formal for p.e so will wait to bring up the subject but we do,do free flow play and circle games and have adventure play in our play ground so all the stepping stones are covered again thanks for the reply's

ta Kelly

I have a nursery class in a primary school. My children have PE in the hll once a week. They really enjoy it. It helps them practice getting undressed & dresed on their own and i have bought the LCP PE scheme for Foundatuion stage. If you haven't seen it, it's brill. The ideas are great and imaginative and it comes with flip charts, CD for use with computer & white board as well as music for the dance lessons. It has wonderful extension PE to use in reception. My nursery children know which day of the week they have PE, have their PE kit on their peg waiting and get really cross if they can't have it. I love it too. It's so very different from outdoor activities, different skills to learn and great fun. If you haven't seen LCp it is well worth a look.

Jean

• 3 months later...

hi

In our FS unit we have separate nursery/ reception times. During the Autumn term I tend not to do a formal PE lesson- instead I use the hall as much as possible for circle games/ dance etc when weather prevents us from going outside.

Come Spring term I do apparatus work which the chn love because they are in a special place (the big chn' s hall)

Come summer term I ask shn to bring a simple PE kit or roll up trousers etc to help with the tranbsition into Reception where 'formal' PE lessons are taught. At the moment chn are very excited about PE day/ keen to bring their kits at the beginning of the week (Hall time isn't until Friday!! and its a good opportunity to develop independent dressing skills- can quickly tell the chn who are dressed by mum/ dad!)

Hope this helps

PS this week we have had a pirate chase- free movement around set out apparatus and differnet instruments representing a crocodile/ sea monster/ safe to come out mean that chn have to stop (safely) and get on/ under or can move again. Fantastic for assessing listeninf skills and movement skills/ involvement/ concnetration- we couldn't do this oustside as well as our outside climbing equipment is limiting. Chn have thorughly enjoyed this and we will develop for next week.

Its about using the different available options for the best fit to your needs.

Hot weather meant that parachute play would be hot, sweaty and uncomfortable outside- instead we used the hall and the parachute for making gentle cooloing breezes and then had our milk drink under the mushroom!!

Lisa

We currently work as separate N & R classes and are becoming a FSU in sept.

In the past all my N children started in sept and did one year so I gradually introduced PE in the 2nd and third terms. However now I have children starting at all points in the year and this made it harder to plan such a progression.

the way we now work supports this and ensures close links between our N & R children. although separate classes we join up once a week for our PE / woodland walk sessions - we take half of N mixed with half of R to PE and the other half out for a walk. We have several sets of siblings across the 2 classes and they love the opportunity to work together on this day.

this works really well for us and the younger N children are supported by the older role models.

Have always felt traditional PE sessions are too formal for R not just N but we enjoy our sessions - children come to school dressed in jogging bottoms and we just take shoes, socks and jumpers off.

Sessions are fun based - lots of action rhymes, circle games and free exploration of the apparatus - also include some yoga. We have the Val Sabien planning for R and this underpins our plans to ensure we cover an appropriate range of skills for R but we adapt the plans to suit our needs.

Hi Lisa E,

Love the idea of the pirate chase, i have been doing a few pirate activities at nursery as a few of the children are into pirates at the moment, so if you don't mind i will use the pirate chase idea for our music and movement session next week.

In response to Pink Willow, i also think a formal PE lesson is not appropriate for nursery aged children. There are plenty of opportunities for physical play both inside and during out door play.

I do a specific exercise activity indoors, it is called "ACTIVE FAMILIES", each exercise has a friendly name, for example, Pedro Push and Samuel Stretch and many more. I laminated the exercise sheets and show the children the picture of the exercise before we do them, we do a warm up first and then start the execises. The children love doing them. I will bring the copy home and post it onto here. Not sure about copy right law as i did get the exercises from a Nursery magazine, Steve if you are around can you let me know if it is ok to post the active families onto here as they are from a nursery magazine? Thank you.

I also do another activity, please find attached here, i can't remember where i got these from, but again the children love taking part, i laminated the copies, when we do the chilli bean, i say it with a shivery voice and i say, what dowe need to wear if we are cold, the children will say things like, a hat, so i will say my hat is silver with flashing lights whats yours like and so on.

Rosepetal

Pinkwillow - I'd like to add another 'bean' to the bean game as it is my children's favourite bean - the French Bean! They stand with one hand on their hip, and other hand twirled in the air and say 'Ooh la laa!' - they find it hysterical! I also do 'tinned beans' where they all have to come and stand together squashed in the middle.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)