Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Individual Reading

I would be very interested to hear why this is. We have made a conscious decision to increase the amount of individual reading for R/Y1 athis year nd decrease the amount of guided reading as we have had dipping reading scores recently. This year the children are much keener to attempt to read and are further along in the scheme already....

No real explanation, Marie, just a big no no.

Although I suppose I may be misreporting as the context was dont withdraw from anything to do individual reading and that includes using the lunch hour. That indidvidual reading was a waste of teacher time.

Guest tinkerbell

This is a hard one.I do hear individual readers and it is generallly the children who do not share books at home...in and amongst but I am training myself and TA to do two guided sessions with groups of children each week.

On Friday I did a parents talk about reading in R/Yr1/yr2 and told them it was impossible for the teacher to sit down for 5mins or 10 mins (to make it meaningful)with 25 children =2hours 5 mins or 4 hours 10 mins.! This was because the NQT teachingyr1/yr2 has been getting a bit of stick about how often the children read and can they have new books more often.....the usual race!!!

Tinkerbellx

We hear individual readers in the early part of the school year and then as they become more able put them into guided reading groups and for most childrenguided reading replaces individual reading sometime in the Spring term. We also have 2 parents who come in and continue to hear individual readers all year round as Tinkerbell says its mainly to ensure all children are heard as some parents rarely/never hear their child read at home.

We aim to try to hear children read individually twice a week in school- this happens by either T/TA during the week. There are 3 statemented SEN boys who read daily with a SEN TA, so that leaves 21 others. 4/5 read during quiet reading time each day, whilst the other adult reads/discusses a story. The others we 'squeeze in' at various times during the day, usually in the afternoon- ot easy and it doesn;t always hapen twice for some children, particualarly those that get the practice at home- we still tend to give them a new book though. This means that there is either an adult reading and an adult observing/teaching or sometimes a focussed group activity and the other adult either reading/observing.

We have had a couple of years of mostly guided reading and little individual reading, but we have found it very hard for starting the children off. Once they can read a bit, recognise a few words, and can attempt to sound out words, then we begin to do guided reading. I personally think that reception need that individual time reading in school to get them going. My plan is to do guided reading with the more capable readers (generally those who read at home), hopefully once a week to begin with. This may be during quiet reading time or as a group focussed activity during the day.

Susan, which books / scheme do you use for reception early on/ I'm all for giving something a go if it's recommended as working and I think it will suit my class!

I particularly like Rigby Star, which is a guided reading scheme concentrating on HFW. The children used to queue up for their turn and loved the characters. As a scheme, it has teacher editions of the books with questions and prompts, so even on a bad day children get a good session, if you know what I mean!!!

I have just changed schools and use All Aboard as their main scheme but should have enough copies to enable me to make up small groups this half term with my Jan intake!

Have fun.

In my class the more able readers (these tend to be the ones that read regularly at home!) are heard once or twice a week by TA/Parent helper. The less able children are heard more regularly, some everyday depending on how much support they need.

When it comes down to the children getting new books we put alot of the emphasis onto the parents they are encouraged to read with their child every day, once a book is finished the parents have to sign the childs reading record then they can exchange their books.

When Ofsted visited us at the end of last year they didn't say anything about how much (or how little) individual reading we do with the children (they observed this happening in a couple of classes)

We use various schemes depending on the child but the main one we use is Oxford Reading Tree

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)