Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Day As Leader

Hi everyone,

I did my first day yesterday in my new position as leader. There are lots of things that need to be sorted out, but overall got a really good vibe from the staff and children so feel its going to be ok.

There are somethings that need to changed and will slowly work through these after half term. Personal, social and emotional development will be top of the agenda, in one morning we had to deal with lots of snatching, throwing of resources and refusal to pick them up, children hitting each other, chair rocking, spitting milk, crawling under tables at snack time and hitting with the playdough rollers..but the children were very open to me, so that is a start.

I did have one magical moment though, during a singing session I asked one little boy who had been quite aggressive all morning if he had a favourite song he would like to sing to the group (I had heard him singing to himself during the free play session in the morning) as i thought he had such a lovely voice, he was beaming and sang wind the bobbin up all on his own.

Will let you all know how i get on over the proceeding weeks.

Claire x

Edited by cupcake

Good luck i your new role, you sound just the right sort of person for it! Remember to take one step at a time and don't expect too much of yourself - changes takes time. As someone once said to me, you can't eat an elephant all in one go....take bite sized pieces!!! :D:o:D

Hi everyone,

Another really good day. Today we introduced a 'Good morning' routine. We all sing our good morning song, using total communication to sign good morning, this is followed by 'the day of the week' which also has a song, the session ends with 'what is the weather today' and you guessed it this has another song LOL. The children were so responsive and really embraced this change.

Have had lots of discussions with the staff about different ideas etc, we are quite fortunate in that we have four hours on a Tuesday, where we can plan...i will use this time to discuss introducing a rolling snack bar, as the children are finding it difficult to have a sit down altogether snack time. We are also going to introduce small keyworker group time each morning, which will support the children in their psed.

At the end of the session i had a lovely lunch with the Chairperson, and then had a meeting at local school and now have timetabled access each week to the newly installed Foundation stage playground, which is a few minutes walk from the setting.

All in all a great day, lots to do but a willing Team, lovely parents and a dedicated comittee....fingers crossed it continues.

Edited by cupcake