Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Evidence

what evidence do you have for points such as 'separates from carer' or 'dresses and undresses'

I have just looked into my profiles and I haven't got them marked off for children even though they can do it. I really don't want to have to write down things for the sake of it.

Thats knowledge you have in your head laura, and that is allowed. I always make some short jotted notes re settling as the children start. You could do a tick sheet re dressing if you really felt you needed hard evidence or take some photos of them getting ready for PE or afterwards. I've put simple targets up such as "I can do my own coat" up for a week and when I have checked it kept a simple tick record.

All the children can leave parent without support, but I did not record the actual date - not sure why. But is it ok to just do a tick sheet and write down the date now, even thought that was not the first time they had done it, i.e it was right back in September. Hope that makes sense

The only problem that I can see is that if a parent sees the record, they may think that you are quite batty not noticing until now that their child has left their parent without a fuss, since September. It is quite easy to explain that some things are not marked off, as the children have not actually shown that they can do something, even thought they may have been capable for sometime. I think it is another matterm when your children have clearly had an opportunity to separate from the day they started.

The evidence is really an observation isn't it? And then a tick list to show that this behaviour is consistent.

i attended a moderation last wek and they confirmed then how important it is to use your knowledge of the child and if you know they can do it but dont have the written evidence then that is fine, the evidence is in your head. if you are really worried i would do as everyone else has stated do a tick sheet you could label it autunm term 1 or 2 so the parent issue should not be a problem

Same as others really. We have a list by the pegs with all the children's names (in key groups) and across the top it has statements like 'attempts to put on take off coat' or 'puts on with support' or however you want to phrase it, 'does up own zip' etc. Staff simply tick it when they see it then each half term it's cut into the keygroups for each key worker to take home. We just write either on a slip or in a progress report 'Jimmy can do up the buttons on his coat' SORTED! We do the same with pencil grip, pedalling a bike, throwing and catching etc.

We've been told to 'know your children' too and who is all this written evidence for exactly? Ours goes to the parents at the end. As a mum of a 3 year old myself all I want to know is she can do this, she's trying to do that, she might need support with the other. I'm not interested in lengthy obs of how she used her right hand to hold her coat steady while she used her left fingers in a pincer motion to grasp the zip.... I'm exaggerating of course but seriously - who is the written stuff for???

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)