Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Conjunctivitus

Hi

Just a quick question, wondered if anybody knows the answer? We have had an outbreak of conjunctivitus, 6 cases in the last week. One of the parents wants us to wash every single toy in the pre-school as she says the toys are contagious. This will take a long time to wash everything. We have washed the playdough and home corner resources, but to clean everything!!!!! what do others do?

I would think it depends if the conjunctivitis is viral or bacterial. Viral conjuctivitis is airborne isn't it?

When we have had more than one child with conjunctivitis we are more vigilant ( although we are anyway :o ,) about handwashing. We don't do circle time, or holding hands activities for a few days and keep a general lookout for symptoms on other children. Not had as many as 6 children affected at the same time though.

Peggy

I'm no expert but I would say that if there are several children with it, then maybe you have a case for excluding those children with it until it has cleared up. Be very vigilant about children rubbing their eyes and ensure stringent hand washing. Perhaps you could contact your health visitor for further advice and then report back to this particular parent on what measures you have taken.

Thanks for your replies. I have been very vigilant with the children, i have also sent one home yesterday, i phoned the mother and asked her to collect him when i noticed his eyes, also had one in the morning, already have posters up asking parents to check childrens eyes before coming to pre-school.

I could always line them up before they come in and do a eye check on every child, reminds me of the nitt nurse!!!!!!!!

I did wonder about asking parents to wash toys, if every parent took one box, mmmmm.

Good idea about the health visitor, i'll give her a call

I was just going to suggest asking parents to do it!

Are you committee run? We ask our committee to organise a rota to take home aprons, cups and plates etc to wash them properly.

How do you wash your toys usually?

We fill our water tray with Milton solution and put the toys in string bags. Soak for however long you need to then hang up to dry!

I also childmind and put a lot of my toys through the dishwasher :o

We fill our water tray with Milton solution and put the toys in string bags. Soak for however long you need to then hang up to dry!

That's how we used to do it in nursery. We had a regular toy cleaning rota and left the toys overnight in the water tray or baby bath with Milton. When they were rinsed, we got the children to help dry them with tea towels and sort them back into their storage boxes!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)