Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Photographs To Go Home With Reports.

Guest MaryEMac

Guest MaryEMac

This question came up at playgroup this morning and I thought I would ask on here as someone is bound to know the answer. We have been taking photos (on PG camera) as evidence of what the children have been doing and we intend to put them with the reports at the end of the year for the parents.

Do you only send home individual photos? What about if it was a group activity? We do have one child who is allowed to be photographed for inhouse displays but no way can she be photographed for the local paper. Is it permissable to give the parents group photos?

Would appreciate some help, thanks in advance. :o

Mary

My immediate thoughts are :

What does the parental consent state?

Would the children in the pictures be identified?

If you have parental consent for all forms of photos and their uses, and the children are not named, I wouldn't imagine a problem....

However, you could always write to parents stating your intentions and find out if they have any issues with their child being included in another child's folder (saying that they would not be named) and select the photos accordingly.

I agree with Running Bunny - put a letter out explaining what you want to do and with a permission slip at the bottom. I think parents on the whole appreciate the fact that you want to put them in the picture (sorry for the pun) before you start doing something and realise that you have their children's best interests at heart. I shouldn't think anyone will have a problem with it but it's always nice to be asked isn't it?! :)

We have parental consent for photographs, but when i take photos of group activities, i try to take it from an angle where there are no faces in view. either it's close enough to only get hands or torsos in, or i take it above, sort of standing over them or i wait till no one is looking. Although this sometimes means waiting for ages as they do love seeing themselves on the preview bit! :D

My lot are quite vain! :o

All I would add is what happens when you have your end of year/group term photo taken? How do you cover this? Personally, my parents sign up for me to take photos of their children but don;t want them to go out to a newspaper where they could be identified. Just get a letter done also confirming with the parents that these are for their own personal use and not to be used in any other medium. Let's face it they have enough parties where parents take pictures of all teh children and I best they don't get permission form all the parents but cover your back - I am sure that parents will agree, if they don't then you take the photo out of the pack.

Nikki

I like others get parental permission because I produce a CD of photo's taken over the period of time children are with us. Some are individual and others are a group. I have quite a few children who are fostered and I don't have permission to include them in the CD's due to safeguarding their identity/ location or due to the fact that foster carers are unable to get the permission from parents or social services. In these cases should the childs face be identifyable in the picture and I cant delete the child, I use the photo programme tools to 'obscure' the childs features.

Hope this helps.

Peggy

Guest MaryEMac

Thanks for your thoughts. Parents already sign a permission slip where they indicate if they are happy for any photos to be taken. Most say yes to all inhouse photos and local papers but not students work or videos. It's a good idea to ask them about end of year report photos. In previous years we have taken a leavers photo and no-one has commented on it so I don't think there will be a problem. As you say we all like to be consulted. Thanks again,

Mary

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)