Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Got An Interview On Monday...

oooh I need some hugs and support guys!

Not sure what to do if I do by some fluke get it! Here are my pros and cons...

Pros

It is home based and 17.5 hours a week

It pays 1.5X what I get now for 18 hours (for 18 read nearer 25... you know how it is!)

I hope it WILL be 17.5 hours and I will get some time with my own children!

It is completely different to what I'm doing now

I won't have the stress I have now with the man. com. of the building we are in

I won't have the stress of staffing issues

I won't have the stress of parent issues

I will have a boss that knows about the 'business' (That sounds so bitchy But I'm fed up with committees who actually have no knowledge of anything childcare related laying down the law!)

I won't feel guilty for not being at preschool so much at the moment because our childminding is so busy (we have 6 under 5 on 3 days so both need to be home so I've cut my sessions)

Cons

I will feel TERRIBLE for leaving the preschool and putting them through recruiting again as I know how hard it is

Knowing me, I'll manage to put more planning etc into it and end up doing more than I do now

I will have to travel around a large area to deliver activity sessions etc

I will really miss working with the staff I have now

Oooh that hasn't helped me at all! Ho hum.

Your pro's seem to far outweigh your cons.

Ask yourself would you really apply for a job if you didn't want it, ( especially knowing how much work goes into recruitment)

If you don't try you won't know.

Imagine you opt out, would you regret it in the future?

If you do go for it, and get it, would you keep in touch with current colleagues? ( be honest, that's how much they mean to you in terms of being a part of your future or are they just important to you in your present?)

I think the answers are clear to you.

Good luck for Monday. :o:D

Peggy

Take one step at a time - it might be just what you are looking for and making the break will be difficult but at the end of the day its all about quality of life and no matter how many ours there are in a day you can never catch up on certain things. I would wait and see what happens - sounds good to me and I think once you know whether you have got the job or not you will be more in a position to weigh everything up.

We are all interested to know what it is and we want it.

Good luck - keep us posted

Nikki

Hali, that's just it, I don't know if it feels right! The person leaving asked me to apply for it and I know she is leaving to travel and not for any other reason - she has never complained about any aspect of it which does make me feel that there isn't half as much stress attached!

Peggy, you ask very good questions there.

I applied because I had a day before the deadline so didn't have time to think about it!

I agree that if you don't try you never know and I would have always wondered....

If the job I have now continues in the way it is then yes I might regret not going for this one but I don't really believe in regrets. I believe in sticking by your decision and making hte best of it. Unfortunately I am crap at making decisions!!!

Hmmm would I keep in touch.... With our administrator definitely yes, I have found a very good friend there and when I first looked at pros and cons the only pro to staying in my present job was her!! That is quite tragic for how I feel about my job isn't it! Realistically no, you're right, I probably wouldn't stay in touch as they will probably hate me for leaving them in the lurch! I don't see them socially at all so I would see them at network and cluster meetings etc and of course when my daughter and charges go but..... Oh bloody hell Peggy you are so right!

Now I'm going to be gutted if I don't get it HA HA HA

LOL Nikki, you can't have it!

The actual job title is (takes deep breath....)

Family Engagement Outreach Officer (phew!)

The main aim is to facilitate play learning and development opportunities for parents carers and children. If it stays the same as the person leaving was doing, the part that appeals to me most is she set up activity sessions in the holidays that people attend with children so they are responsible for their own children (always a bonus!) I have really enjoyed attending them and I do these things at home already so for families who don't like to get their homes messy, it is so valuable!

Oooh I'm letting myself get excited now and I MUST NOT. I have to keep calm as I may not get it...

The interview even sounds fun (cos I'm sad and mad) as I have to give a 10 minute presentation on how I would set up and deliver an activity session on physical play for 1-2 year olds and their parents.

Oh my, I'm going to feel pants if other people on the forum have applied too... I told hte mum of one of my mindies and it turns out she had sent off for the application pack but decided not to apply as she couldn't be flexible (don't know why tho as I'm her child minder and I am!!)

As an employer, however much I have liked a member of staff on a personal basis, if i felt they no longer were truly commited to ( or enjoyed) working in my preschool, for whatever reason then I would wish them well in other pursuits ( I have this situation looming with my daughter who has worked for me for the last 3 years - she doesn't know this herself yet but I am reading the signals :o ).

Good resolve not to have regrets. I would say though that whatever happens, stay where you are ( even if it is because you don't get the new job) or change jobs, it is how we approach each day that makes or breaks it, make the best of each day is the motto I try to keep to, like my signature says, today, the present, is a gift. :D

Peggy

Staying in your present job out of a sense of duty or guilt is not really fair to you or your family. It sounds like you are really excited about the prospect of this job - in a way that maybe you haven't been in your present position for some time? And regarding the number of hours worked - thats a balance that we all have to try and find, whatever the job may be. Good luck. :D

Good luck. If it isn't you then you always have the fall back of what you are doing now, which it seems you could always go back to. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. A change is as good as a rest. etc etc

Good luck from me too, I am in a similar position and haven't even found anything to apply for yet, but I am constantly weighing up pros and cons of family commmitments and work, it is an ongoing thing for us isn't it? All part of being a mum I suppose.

Good luck to you whatever you decide, let us know how it goes. :D