Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Low Scores On Entry

Looking for help (yet again!)

I have just read in a school report to Governors that the school needs to address the issue of "below average Foundation Stage Profile scores on entry."

I am now very confused. How can this be possible? I thought the Profile summed up the attainment of the children by the end of the FS year. It seems a bit mean to write them off from the beginning.

I think I know where the Head got this idea from - we devised new 'entry observations' (as we get only a few Record of Transfers from our local pre-schools) and these observations did show up some interesting things but (I don't think) 'low profile scores' !!!!!!

Any advice???

I would have thought the issue of low scores "on entry" should be addressed by the preschool! Surely as a Reception teacher you are addressing the children's needs based on your assessments?

at our last OFSTED they judged our children to have below average on entry scores to the Foundation Stage(not sure how they worked that out) and in our development plan we decided to focus on specific things to address this. Such as speaking and listening programmes, SAQ for physical development etc maybe they mean something like this??

You do need to address children who arrive into your setting with a low score. You need to show progress and if these children are arriving low your profile scores will also be low. We have a high intake of EAL children and the others come from a community with alot of poverty. You can imagine our scores are low. We address this by doing a lot of PSE and speaking and listening with a focus on interventions for these children to make accelerated progress. Its all about knowing your children and puttung interventions in place which adressess these areas.

Marion you have really hit the nail on the head. It was Ofsted (back in Oct) that decided we had below average children on entry and the Head is responding to this. I don't actually think it is that true - we have a very diverse, mixed bunch which makes a wonderful school.

Your comments have really helped. The 'action' for all of this is Speech & Language Programme and building better relationships with all our feeder pre-schools which I think are all brilliant ideas. I'll have a chat tomorrow with the Head and see if we can change the wording on the Report and on the SIP!

Thank you!

During our Ofsted last week I had to prove to the lead inspector that children enter our setting with below average baseline entry scores on the profile. As a setting we assess the children 3-4 weeks in to Reception (we do not have a nurserey class and feed from our local Nursery school who assess on the Hertfordshire Nursery Learning Record) on the profile.

Anyway the inspector had figures that said the national average for children starting in reception is, as a cohort, approx 25% of the class should be working on the blue stepping stones, green 50% and on ELG 25%. Where these figures come from I do not know, but my head vaguely remembered being sent something about this last week and in the Ofsted chaos it has been filed! Will have to hunt it out and see what it says.

Anyway long and short it meant that I was able to show that my children start below nat. ave in CLL and Maths and that we provide good value added.

Not sure this helps but it is vaguely on the thread!

• 2 months later...
Anyway the inspector had figures that said the national average for children starting in reception is, as a cohort, approx 25% of the class should be working on the blue stepping stones, green 50% and on ELG 25%. Where these figures come from I do not know, but my head vaguely remembered being sent something about this last week and in the Ofsted chaos it has been filed! Will have to hunt it out and see what it says.

Sorry can clarify this as this is the first time i have read this, 25% of your 4 years old which enter your recepetion class should already be working on the ELG, meaning that in my class of 30 children nearly 8 of them should have come in workign on the ELG.

Is this not Talented and Gifted if they come in this far forward? And if this is this is a national figure of around 3% isn't it?

Does anyone else have 25% of children entering working on ELG. I have to be honest this year i think i had one child for reading but not for anything else.

Please tell me that we are all the same???????

Guest Wolfie

Our nursery intake sounds very like that of Gillie's and we put similar strategies into place to address the areas where we think the children need most support, namely PSE and communication skills.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)