Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Need Some Help And Ideas

Hi I am just planning for jolly Postman

I have got some ideas for focus tasks, but mainly need ideas for independent activities

My ideas

Post office role play

wrap up parcels

writing letters to characters

sort letter shapes

make an envelope

postman visit

journey of a letter (watch video)

paint picture of postman visitor

Really need some more ideas - can anyone help?

Could you have a reading area/table with books relating to characters in story as free choice?, Post office vehicles and road mat; outdoor play bicycles - cycling the route that JP took,etc. I think it's TTS that do 'talking postcards' where you can record short messages, they look quite good but not used them -they're on my 'wish list'. Could you also have different colours/sizes of envelopes with certain activities inside them, similar to JP idea - you could link them to any areas you want such as beads/lace for counting,etc

sorting parcels by size /weight

one of our speaking activities is to pass an odd shaped parcel around the circle and each child predicts what might be in it before we unwrap it.

we also put numbered postboxes outside and gave the children letters to deliver to the right box

There used to be a really good Jolly Postman CD Rom with lots of different activities on it - not sure if it is still available?

Write letters to each other with school address on envelopes.

Stick on real stamps, go for class walk to post office and post letters - very exciting when the postman delivers post back to school for each child to open!

(Not an ind activity obviously!)

The post office / Royal mail were fantastic when I contcted their education dept last year - they sent us lots of great stuff for role play area and letter writing packs, alphabet posters etc etc - all FREE!!!!! :D

last year we had a role play post office. I downloaded a few things from the Cbeebies postman pat web site. Children made postcards (we were doing a seaside countryside topic) they wrote a postcard home which we addressed. Went to the local post office in small groups to buy, stick on and post the cards. Most children kept the activity secret until the post arrived home. Caused great excitement at home!

AOB

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)