Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maths Obbo - Calculating

Hi everyone.

I'm being observed by the Maths co-ord soon. The focus is 'Calculating' looking at the use of jottings and incorperating layered targets. It's aimed at KS1 and although I teach YR still have the same focus (although they're not so worried about the jottings etc).

Anyway, just wondered if anyone had a ny ideas. I was thinking of doing something active, like skittles maybe, and then the jottings could just be very informal on whiteboards (focusing on simple addition) and then comparing more and less to see who has won. What do you think? Any replies very much appreciated x

Well that sounds good to me but if you want to compare results, why not record in books or on paper?

Just thinking that white boards may get rubbed away and make comparisons difficult.

Have you got clipboards?

You could go outside, make your observer realise you work differently???

my children love skittles (we have been playing this week!) and I always find activities like this where they have a purpose for writing down their score work well to promote recording.

Ours love to take clipboards outside as they see us writing on clipboards all the time.

Through our skittles games this week we have had lots of opportunities for counting, recording and comparing scores.

Good luck with your observation.

Great idea, your more able children could write the numbers down, oh that is if you have numbers on your skittles like mine do.

Liz x

Ours love clipboards too ... easpecially the boys. Skittles sounds great, you could also make a bean bag target. Differentiate by how many you've got in the target, and for the more able a different target with one, two or three points according to which circle they land in. If possible I'd do this outside too.

Good luck, Harricroft

Thanks everyone. I'll go ahead with it. Was planning to go outside cause I know the person observing me hates being cold so hopefully she won't stay too long! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)