Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Frustration!

We have 2 children in our setting with behavioural difficulties. One has a statement, the other has only just joined us and as yet does not. The child without the statement was observed by our ed psych today and she said she does not feel he needs a statement when i asked why she said becuase you are already doing a great job with him. I felt very frustrated and said yes but at the expense of the other children. He takes up so much of my time and whilst i do not in anyway resent him for this, it is very unfair on the other children as they are not getting a lot of my time.

Sorry i just wanted to rant. The more you do the more people expect you to do!!

Hope you feel better Lola.

How do the parents feel? Could they ask their GP for support?

Sorry not much help but in the future this child may ( or may not) need extra support if in a setting / school with a lower adult/child ratio than you have at present.

Peggy

oops realise from your other posts that you are in a school. Well done for doing such a good job, although that is not really what you want to hear. All I can suggest is that you continue to record, possibly through event sample observations, how much adult 1-1 time/attention this child needs and present this info to your line manager.

peggy

Lola - i can fully empathise with your frustrations.

This does seem to happen a lot - you put yourself out for a child and consequently they do make progress so much so that by the time an external comes in to observe their needs don't seem so great.

I fully agree with peggy - document as much as you can to show the level of support you're giving and the level of need - many times I have regretted not documenting fully enough all the early support given before an external first comes in to show just what it has taken to move a child forwards.

Guest tinkerbell

I am in the same position with a little boy in Reception. :o

Actually it happens all the time in Reception,staff work so hard with the children who need lots of extra help and then they are statemented in Key Stage 2, once management admit it wasnt 'maturity'!

Sorry that is not fair, sometimes it does seem that way though xD:(

Tinkerbellx

Absolutely agree with getting the evidence documented. As senco you can approach the behaviour support base at your LEA, they may be able to send someone in to advise and treat it as an emergency - I have done this before and it has got the ball rolling on a statement - admittedly a year down the line but it is happening now. This childs behaviour was so bad he attended half day in reception for a year nearly, firstly because he couldnt cope, we needed to give the other children a break from him and couldn't fund it all. Behaviour logs are vital, record every incident and how you deal with it, make sure rigorous and frequently updated IEP's are in place and reviewed every month or so, the more IEP's you have and the small steps you place on them are vital in the statementing exercise. Good luck.

Liz x

And I thought that things were supposed to be getting better and every child's needs would be met, clearly you are doing this for the child but as you say what about the other children, what about their needs. If the child needs some extra help then surely it would be better to kick in with some now, taking a year to get a child statemented seems madness to me and clealry makes it so difficult for everyone as you cannot physically do everything. Keep at it but it must be so frustrating at times when things just don't happen in the way you would like. Chocolate, wine and crisps are a firm favourite of mine

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)