Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Poor Sound Recognition

I'm looking for ideas. All the children in my class are now very confident with their sound recognition. However there are a group of 6 who are causing me alot of concern. They can probably recognise about 4-6 sounds confidently. They are being taken out of class 3 times a week for reinforcment work but it doesn't seem t be having an affetc. I have spoken to their parents and they assure me that they practice them at home. I have run out of ideas of what to do to help tem. Please help!!!!

Hi. I'm in nursery so may not be much use. Do you have/use sound lotto type games? Also we play games with musical instruments, child has to copy sound(s) heard/identify sounds from behind screen and so on. include one phonicky *sound as well to develop sense of achievement increase as children develop confidence. We play a circle game, pairs of animal cards eg hen, pig, cow -children swap places on hearing initial sound There are lots of ideas in Foundations of Literacy (Sue Palmer and somebody Bayley) that involve children using their bodies one called segment and move where you sound out h-o-p for example which we've adapted using picture cards and initial sounds for most of the children, once they hear the sound we don't use the card.

Posy

* patented by me- it's a new term developed because of my poor writing skills and adopted by nursery assistant. see also 'phonicky time' and 'phonicky stuff'.

I had this problem last year and tried the following. We made up some letter cards on bright card and got each child a 'special sparkly folder' from a high street shop. (or the children could decorate their own in any way they wanted?)and made this very special. At the beginning we gave each child the cards for the letters they knew confidently. We talked to parents to get their help too. Each day we went over the cards in their folder and added one more - after some sort of physical or fun activity.... s - using scooters/ a eating an apple/ b bouncing around the hall etc. We asked parents to go over cards daily too - quickly - and talk about/ask child to show the activity. Being part of the group and having a go brought lots of praise and stickers.

This worked well for 5 of the 6 children - including 1 who started with no sounds. I gave 'You are doing well with your sounds' and 'You know all your sounds' certificates too.

Good luck

We use lots of the activities from PiPs and Foundations Of Literacy (the parents book think its called Flying with Literacy is also good for idea) and also L is for sheep for auditory sound recognition for sound grapheme recognition we use flash cards a lot. Circle games where each child has a letter and when they hear that sound whispered they stand up and when they next hear it they sit back down move places swap cards etc We do similar things for lunchtime lining up the children listen for the sound replace their card and go and wash their hands.

Plastic letters in the sand tray or outdoor digging pip to sort into different containers to help recognising the written letter.

Plastic letters hidden outside each child is given a bag and a sound then they have to collect as many letters as they can.

Letter bingo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)