Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pilates

Does anyone do pilates? I have never done it before but it has been recommended to me. I have suffered constant back pain for 2 years now (no idea why), and have been tested for many things, as well as trying various treatments. No-one is able to tell me what is wrong.

I am now willing to try anything and wondered if pilates may help?

Know how you feel, and I have only been really bad for a month now, still off work but having seen a chiropractor and treatment 3 times a week for 2 weeks , at least I can move now! Another 2 weeks of treatment to assess and see if it is working adequately before deciding where we go next. He has said he will give me correct exercises and advice to help at end of course of treatment, and then it is up to me as to whether I continue or just follow his advice.

i would-be very wary of any exercise not approved by whoever is trying to sort your problem out, O was advised that it can aggravate the situation and make it worse rather than better.

Inge

Sorry to hear that, worth another go perhaps? even if to find out about any exercise they feel may benefit.

But I'm just one to keep on until someone listens!

As said, just be aware you could make it worse with the wrong exercises

Inge

My partner has had exactly the same problem, he sees a physio for his back and she has advised him to start doing Pilates and has given him a few exercises to do to start him off. Maybe it would be worth giving it ago or at least speaking to a physio or a doctor to get some exercises of them.

Good luck :)

I was recommended Pilates rather than yoga for core stability by a physiotherapist. I had previously spent a considerable amount of money with a Chiropractor but relief was very transient. Unfortunately, I have not found a Pilates class yet.

I would reccomend finding a good pilates class. I attend a class that is available nationwide called "Body Balance" it is a mixture of pilates and yoga set to music. Each music track is focussing on certain areas such as balance, core stability, back strengthening etc. I have found it very benificial. In the class we have two pregnant ladies, one with a serious back problems and one lady who has perviously undergone heart surgery. The class is very gentle with controlled movements delivered by a qualified instructor. Give it a go its done wonders for my lower back pain and my stress levels :)

At the moment Im stuck at home with a slipped disc. A few years ago I fell at school and ruptured a disc and have since suffered from back pain. My doctor first referred me to a physiotherapist and then to a Spinal Rehab programme which was marvellous. This included lots of different exercises, relaxation and coping strategies. One of the very simple exercises I was given which I use all the time was hula hooping (sounds silly I know but it really does help lower back pain)

I too suffer with back ache... i did pilates for a while... but as I am ovcerly flexible found that it did not work for me... make sure you have a teacher that understnds back problems and will correct your movements.

I have been having cranial sacral massage for the past 8 months or so and have found that this has worked wonders for my back and other ailments.... apparently a lot of back ache is postural.... but we learn to stand in the wrong way and our muscles get used to it.... the massage has helped to release these muscles and I have been much better.... I get quite bad pre mentstral back ache and it is always worse in this weather.

Hope you find a solution.

L