Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E Portfolios

Wasn't sure if this was the best place to post, but here goes...

I've got this idea running round my head at the moment and thought I'd run it past you people.

My own son's FS are heavily into observation based assessment and I was really impressed with the report I got after he'd spent 2 terms in Nursery - lots of lovely personal observations, quotes of things he'd said, photos etc (all referenced to the areas of learning - KUW, CLL etc). As a parent I thought this was wonderful (as did he) and it had obviously been done in Microsoft Word. What a huge effort they'd gone to to sort out, type up, insert the relevant photos etc - all on top of an existing massive workload!

Here's my idea: Practitioners have a hand-held device/computer that runs all the microsoft office programs, has handwriting recognition, can record sound, video and take still photos.

I have made a Powerpoint template that will 'host' all the information gathered. Handwritten observations drop straight into text boxes as text. Photos, video and sound recordings can also be dropped straight onto pages.

Each child would have their own individual powerpoint (which would be their e-portfolio). Pages and items would be added with relative ease and referenced to the areas of learning. This would grow as they continued their learning journey through FS and beyond. Parents could view it on any computer (it could even be printed) - even better if it was available through a VLE.

Sorry if this is a bit techie, but any thoughts/comments welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Dugh

Kermit, I'd hope it would be something fairly instantaneous. Compared to paper, digital cameras etc it would be very different. I foresee that the 'device' would have the relevant Powerpoints running at the time of observation (say a group situation), or you could be focussing on an individual child and have their Powerpoint running. Written observations would be a single click away from being recorded in the portfolio, sound recordings, photos, video, no more than a few clicks (maybe there'd be a tiny bit of 'diddling' outside of the classroom but nothing like what they're doing at my son's school).

I think it's a fantastic idea. The owner of the nursery i work at is very keen to involve computers to record and relay information to parents.

Anything which is less time consuming, but actually helps record observations and link them to areas of learning, possible line of development and at the same time allow us to share this information with parents, along with child's own words and photos, has got to be worthwhile.

Sounds good to me, especially the 'hand held' and 'handwriting recognition part'.

I currently make 'scrapbooks' for all our children. The include noted comments, observations, and childrens 'work' ie first drawing, examples of cutting, hole punching etc. I add a few photo's but the majority of photo's I put onto CD for the parents to look at on a regular basis.

I did purchase 2 digital memo recorders but to be honest background noise is a problem ( large hall) and the screen is so tiny I find it hard to know if I'm recording or not. :(

A lot of picture tweeking is done at home, and downloading onto the CD, so anything that reduces 'home' work, and can be done 'on the spot' would be great. just today i said to one of my staff that there were a few 'significant' things some of the children had said that I didn't get to note down in the business of it all, but can I remember what they were?, No.

Peggy

p.s. I'd be happy to test the prototype xD

p.p.s. What is a VLE :o ?

Susan, I take your point. Price would definitely be an issue, and it'd need to be robust. I know that the exact thing I'm after won't be out til end of this month and I'm hoping the Local Authority will buy one.

I actually tried an ultra mobile PC last week and wrote on the screen and it popped it straight into a text box (very exciting to a geek like me! :) ) The only problem was that it had no camera/sound recorder on it (which would obviously mean 'home' working).

Peggy, if I can get one/a few of these I will be looking for 'guinea-pigs'. Where are you? I think I'd have to restrict to Kirklees (where I work).

A VLE is a Virtual Learning Environment. This is a piece of webspace (a bit like a website) that allows school to put up/share documents etc, have email, discussion, forums (like this very one!) etc.

Here's what I wrote about it on the TES forum:

"It is a vast 'area' or 'place' that inhabits webspace. Aspects of this area can be thought of as a metaphorical building, so it has sub-areas (rooms) where people can chat with each other (communities). Some of the rooms have special locks so that only certain people can go in there. There is also a huge notice board in the corridor that is organised such that people in the house can see what notices are relevant to them. Alongside the notice board are some huge filing cabinets with everybody's stuff stored in them. They are special filing cabinets because they don't just contain paper but they can contain any sort of file: photos, music, videos, IWB files, lesson plans etc. The drawers of the filing cabinets are like the doors of the rooms (only people who are 'allowed' can get into them). Also in the corridor are a couple of ever-ready computers that are available for anyone to use for email purposes. On the wall opposite the notice board is a 'magic' calendar. It is magic because it contains everyone's calendars, but it magically only allows them to look at just the stuff that's relevant to them.

Upstairs in the house is the 'School'. This is also laid out in rooms with special doors and only certain people are allowed to go in the school rooms. On the door of the room is a sign that tells you what you can learn about in there. When you get in, ther are bookcases and filing cabinets that contain loads of files and information about a given (learning) topic. Of course, there's also a notice board like the one downstairs and a computer set up to link to lots of online resources. On the tables are any worksheets/documents for the learner to access and fill in as they complete their learning."

Having read this back, I hope it's ok...

bah humbug, I'm in Kent :(

Like the sound of the VLE, it reminds me of a programme I used years ago on a computor, possibly an applemac :o I suppose in a sense it is a bit like the CBeebies site. You have described it very well. :D I can virtually see it. xD

Peggy

Sounds fantastic - my parents love their children's paper portfolios (as do the children) but I know they would love to see more photos included but budget and time constraints prevent this - have pondered ways to set up electronically but no quick and manageable answer.

Would the children be able to access their own e portfolio whenever they wanted to look through it?

If you have computer(s) in the classroom then yes, access shouldn't be a problem although I accept that a 'folder' is significantly more child friendly.

Guest tinkerbell

Dugh, it does sound wonderful

I teach R and Yr1 and do not do individual books as I really dont' have the time, as there is just me and TA.We do make a big book each half term, each week we do a double spread.The books go home with the children each night on a rota basis.

I can see that the photos we do could be put into individual childrens folders ,it was a case of what to do with them then, because I dont want to make individual books.Would your system have a template to make this easier?

I'm in Calderdale if you want a guinea pig?

Tinkerbellx

Tinkerbell, I've made a couple of basic templates which seem to work well. Photos just click straight onto the page (into a 'placeholder') there're also spaces for sounds/video/text if necessary.

I'll ask the powers that be. Obviously it'll probably be a Kirklees thing.

Attached is myfirst basic effort.

Just looked at it again and thought that on page (slide) 2, I'd add a box for each of the 3 milestones where there'd be a sample of the child's effort at writing their name.

Any other suggestions/ammendments/improvements welcome. :)

My_Learning_Journey.ppt

• 3 months later...

I think your ideas are great and carefully thought out. We are definately moving towards a much more technological age, especially in terms of childrens access to communication technology. The devise looks very robust and I can even envisage children learning to use it to add their audio thoughts, take their own pictures etc.

I'm curious as to the cost of such a device ( obviously aware that a bulk LA order would or should reduce costs).

Peggy

Not cheap, I'm afraid, Peggy. If you're after the full caboodle - device, bump-cover, harness, spare battery, charger, you're looking at £770ish. Then there's a USB keyboard (?) handwriting recognition software (£30ish) MS Onenote (??????) USB CD drive (to install software) (not sure of cost). My LA isn't brokering a deal - but I've got 5 schools bought in already.

hhmmm, as I thought quite expensive, but as with all things, if there is a demand hopefully costs will lower. Have you heard of a company called serif? I get lots of software (they also do hardware) from them at very reasonable cost. I only know them via email alerts on 'deals' hubby dealt with them first. Point being they always seem to be leading in terms of technology products and may have something similar more reasonably priced.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)