Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Structure Of The Day In Reception

Does anyone have any advice? I am new to the role of FS co-ordinator. I am currently in the process of adapting the way the Reception is organised at my school. i have been trying to encourage the staff to move towards a more child centered approach - fewer focus groups, more child-initiated play and a floater to observe and intervene in play. The staff are finding it hard to move away from their current way of working - children all directed to either a teacher led or teacher directed task. The complaints have been that they feel the children are not making the progress in my new approach that they were making previously. Coming from a school where child-iniated play and lots of observation has worked really well, I am concerned that the staffs' focus in teaching, rather than learning is just not working. Any suggestions?

Hi and welcome fairypink.

Accepting change is always difficult it seems and being the initiator is no easier but you know that your way of working is good practise and as a newly appointed coordinator you have presumably got the head on board?

I think you have to keep plugging away at this. Can you break it down to make the changes smaller and perhaps easier to adapt to? You must lead by example, perhaps some specific examples and training are needed and hope that your team will follow suit. If your role is new this term then your team have not given it long enough to make those observations as they and the children will need time to adapt. Is it possible for you to take your team to see this way of working in another setting?

Good luck, if you have the vision you will succeed!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)