Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Part Of Interview On Wednesday

I have my first interview on Wednesday for the postition of Preschool Leader. I will be spending the day with the preschool and I have to lead a circle time session for twenty minutes.

I was thinking of taking in our Persona Doll (thought i could use him to explain how shy and nervous he is feeling, being his first day) then i thought i would ask the children to sing some of their favourite songs to make him feel happier (hopefully some children will oblige and we can have a mini singing session) I then thought i would take in a story sack, which is always good as it has lots of props to fully involve the children.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on what i plan to do, its really difficult trying to plan appropriately having never met the children before. There will be about 16 aged from 3 to 4+

Thanks in advance

Claire x

I think what you have planned sounds fine Claire. I don't think you can go far wrong with puppets and stories. The only thing I would suggest, having interviewed candedates recently, is try and involve the children as much as possible in any way you can. We shortlisted to three and two were very reluctant to get the children interacting with the story or puppet.

Good luck with the interview.

Linda

Many thanks for that Linda, I have been thinking how i can get the children to interact with the persona doll. I thought as an introduction i would pass him round the circle so the children could each say hello and tell him there name...some children i know wont want to and thats fine i will suggest that they just pass him to the next child.

fingers crossed they will all love him (some of the children at my present nursery are a bit scared of our persona doll...so was thinking of taking in a big cuddly bear instead...Hmmmm will have to think about this a bit more

Claire x

I'd also have a couple of action songs/rhymes prepared in case they get fidgety and/or lose concentration! If you feel you've "lost" them, a bit of physical stuff will get them back on board. Good luck :)

I agree with Helen, have some action songs/standing up for the fidgety ones especially as 20 minutes is quite a long time for the really little ones.

Persona dolls are all the rage it seems, haven't seen one myself so cannot comment. Don't think you can go too far wrong with a teddy as far as the children are concerned, perhaps the personna dolls would impress the interviewers though?

Have you got a 'hello' song in mind to sing their names to, think you will find some ideas in a topic discussed recently on here.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

I agree with Helen, have some action songs/standing up for the fidgety ones especially as 20 minutes is quite a long time for the really little ones.

Persona dolls are all the rage it seems, haven't seen one myself so cannot comment. Don't think you can go too far wrong with a teddy as far as the children are concerned, perhaps the personna dolls would impress the interviewers though?

Have you got a 'hello' song in mind to sing their names to, think you will find some ideas in a topic discussed recently on here.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Hi Deb,

This is a good link to persona dolls, they are a useful tool when trying to engage the children in discussing feelings/differences for PSED

http://www.blss.portsmouth.sch.uk/earlyears/eypdolls.shtml

Many thanks for everyones advice and good wishes. I will let you all know how it went.

Claire x

Edited by cupcake