Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Flash Cards

In our work at a private day nursery our pre-school team have been discussing the use of flash cards because at our last inspection the inspector said she didn't see any evidence of us using phonics. She evidenced that children could read their name but not necessary that they would know A for Adam etc.

My question is two fold really for all you experts out there:-

1. Do you recommend (and can we actually use) Flash cards to help the children learn phonics.

2. Any suggestions for introducing Phonics to children, most of whom are 3 (we only have 1 four year old). Most of our children are only just 3 or 3 1/2.

Appreciate any ideas or help and also if you have any suggestions, have these been tested under Ofsted Inspection.

Thanks

Hi Sheila, I have recently been on extensive training for the implications of the Rose Review and the introduction of synthetic phonics. The suggestion is at the age range you teach that the emphasis is on rhyme and ryhthmic activities. I use jolly phonics with my F2's and Beat Baby/songs etc with the F1's although saying that the F1's will sometimes sit in on my focussed phonic sessions and so are picking up the jolly phonic actions and they love singing the jingles. Hope this helps :)

Thanks Ladies, both very useful advice. I have got beat babies and I am going to look on the site mentioned and download the items.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)