Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Primary Framework

Guest tinkerbell

Our maths co-ordinator has asked that we try one of the maths units this half term and feed back in a staff meeting.

My KS1 collegue and I went on a LEA Reading day and the use of phonics and how we should now be teaching reading.We already as many people do ,do a daily phonics session, and we have a systematic way of delivering it so not a lot will change apart from we don't have a phonics based reading scheme and so we will probably top up when the gov in April lists all the resources that they deem fit.

The pace of the phonics to is faster and I need to sort myself out on that one...I go at the speed that I think is righ tfor my children!

Tinkerbellx

We have had INSET on teaching the sequence of writing and have looked at the framework with our ISP advisors, we have been working on the new lit and num framework for the past half term, especially on lit units lasting 3 weeks.

The rest of the school have noticed big improvements in their literacy and the quality of work produced, mainly due to introducing more talking and listening and drama in the first 2 weeks and building up to extended writing ion the last week.

As thats what I do in reception anyway (S and L and drama) I have not noticed as many major differences. But the new objectives seem easier to fit in my planning and link with the profile more easily - well so far anyway!

Haven't changed my planning just incorporated the new framework.

County is introducing new phonics training when the new 'playing with sounds' comes out! All change!

Liz x

The new framework starts with the ELGs for FS and so just gives the expected outcomes for the stage and also the links with the KS1 objectives are clearer which will help transition. However the FSCG willl still be the core document (and as said, statutory) for the teaching of children towards these expectations throughouyt the phase so will still be your primary document. The guidance in the revised frameworks also makes this quite clear, although it bothers me that they are using currently the consultation documentas their guide - presumably the on line PNS framework will be adapted as and when the new FS one is published. I think it will all just hyperlink eventually.

There are some obvious errors in the printed frameworks - mainly ELGs not identified as such by NOT being in bold type which will no doubt prove difficult to understand for those more challenged primary coordinators but hey ho..................................

Hi tinkerbell,

How do you know a unit of work and where does it say how much time limit you use a unit for. For exaqmple 3 weeks on some objectives, I'm getting confused.

Thanks

I am not sure if this will be any help but its from the Primary Framework DVD about planning

Guidance on mathematics planning

The planning structure for each year is organised into five blocks. The structure is the same for each year group. A block is designed to cover the equivalent of 6 weeks or 9 weeks of teaching. Each block has incorporated into it objectives from the Using and applying mathematics strand and from two or three of the other core strands. The blocks are:

Block A: Counting, partitioning and calculating

Block B: Securing number facts, understanding shape

Block C: Handling data and measures

Block D: Calculating, measuring and understanding shape

Block E: Securing number facts, relationships and calculating

Each block is made up of three units.

A unit represents 2 or 3 weeks of teaching.

For each of the 15 units that cover the teaching year there are overviews of children's learning, assessment questions and suggested resources. These are intended to provide you with support when planning the children's learning and reviewing their progress.

The units are designed to be used independently when planning a period of 2 or 3 weeks' work. However, when mapping out the blocks and units over the term or year the inter-relatedness of the content and pitch of the units needs to be taken into account. There are various ways that the units can be pieced together to provide children with a coherent learning experience and the example provided can be adapted to suit your own circumstances and the children's needs.

Block A: Counting, partitioning and calculating

(6 weeks)

Block B: Securing number facts, understanding shape

(9 weeks)

Block C: Handling data and measures

(6 weeks)

Block D: Calculating, measuring and understanding shape

(6 weeks)

Block E: Securing number facts, relationships and calculating

(9 weeks)

Unit A1 Unit B1 Unit C1 Unit D1 Unit E1

Unit A2 Unit B2 Unit C2 Unit D2 Unit E2