Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Showing Progress Through The Fs

Hi all

I need to find a way to score children coming into our FS unit so that I can show progress during their time with us. We take children from age 3 and use the FS profile during their Reception year, so something linked to that seems to me to be the only option. I am not sure , however, about using the profile to score 3 year olds, as it was not designed with them in mind. Does anyone use the profile in the way and if so does it work?

thanks Debbie2

Have you checked to see if your LEA has produced an assessment document? In Surrey they have the Surrey Profile and Marion has previously posted about the Durham "Flying Start" document. Failing all that why not just monitor against the stepping stones?

In worcestershire we have a separate nursery profile, with 2 'levels' of statements prior to the yellow stepping stones and then up to the green step.

Prior to the FSP my setting had our own assessments which went right through from nursery to end of R, although we didn't score the children.

Idea of scoring FS children is really difficult one but like you I have to show progress through N into R.

I use the stepping stones and equate a number score to them. Would be happy to explain further if you PM me.

We are having a lot of discussion with head and deputy about how to show 'value added' from nursery is there anyway you could put the profile on here? :o

Hi

thanks Fox, I'll look at Marion's posts. We already use the stepping stones to monitor the younger children, but I need to give them some kind of score that will relate to the score they will get from the profile at the end of Reception.

nsunshine, thanks too, I'll pm you for more information.

Debbie2

Hertfordshire has its own Nursery Learning Record, perhaps Essex could get hold of a copy? It really is very useful and tracks the stepping stones, in glorious technicolour. I know I find it useful when it is passed on to me as a reception teacher.

Liz x

As it is an LA document don't think I should attach but if you visit the worcester grid for learning you can view the Guidelines for filling out the nursery profile.

open teaching & learning on the left hand side then click on the early years file - an early years page will open with a document exchange link at the very top - open this and scroll down the documents to find the guidelines - although this doesn't give you the profile to fill in it does give you the coloured / step-linked assessment statements.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)