Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Another Fed Up Thread - Sorry!

Yesterday we went and joined the pre-school children for the nursery Xmas lunch. It was a bit stressful organising everything to go down, but it was quite nice once we were there. The chairs and tables had been organised so that 4 members of staff sat with 2 children each. Fine, no problem. Then, however, I had to leave the table to go back upstairs and organise bottles and lay bed mats out for the older children. In my absence, the cook comes out of the kitchen and helps to feed one of the babies. I'm upstairs at this point so I don't know anything about this.

I come downstairs and my manager is huffing and puffing and generally cross with me because I have allowed the cook to feed one of my babies, when she had organised the seats so that there were enough staff to cover it. She tells me to go and sort it so I appropach the two girls sitting especially with the babies and ask one of them to take over. I get blank looks from one, and the other rolls her eyes and asks me why?

HELLO! I am the room leader and I have asked you to do something so really and truly it should be done! Especially as it was orders from above. I wouldn't mind, but the girl who continuoulsy questions me isn't even qualified and has a total experience with children time span of 3 months! I don't mean to be negative about unqualified people but this really wound me up.

I am getting sick and tired of trying to do things in the unit and being ignored or questioned. If they don't like what I'm saying, the run upstairs to the manager complaining and bitching about me and then again I am called to the office and told off. I'm really fed up with it. I was told to do all these things and in trying to do them, I'm getting myself into hot water.

What didn't help yesterday was that the pre-school children were doing a Carol Concert for all the parents. I specifically asked if I would be allowed to go and watch, bearing in mind that I too am a fee paying parent. I get told that it would be ok for me to go and watch as Natalie was taking part. Cue lots of excitement at my little girl's first Xmas Carol Concert!

Friends and family are waiting downstairs and I'm told that I have to wait until the last minute before I can go down as we were desperately short staffed. I said that was fine, but would someone call me when that time came. Lots of reassurances that someone would.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, nobody called me and I missed the whole thing. I was so cross and disappointed. It's not as if I asked that morning. I asked about 2 weeks ago. I just feel that if I didnt work there, me going wouldn't have been a problem.

I went in today to complain as a parent, and my manager laughed in my face and told me she didn't realise nobody had called me (once she'd asked if I'd enjoyed the show!).

Sorry about that. Feel better now. No more misery from me til after Christmas as on holiday now and intending to forget that I ever studied childcare let alone work in a nursery!

So sorry Clare. My old manager wouldnt give me 15 mins to run round to school to see the end of a school play and my son was the only, I mean, ONLY child not to have a parent to run to at the end, and I could have got cover!!

I started looking for another job because of instances like that. I know you're thinking about it and if I was you I'd make a real effort in the new year to find a place you can be happy in.

Try to have a great Christmas, :D

P.S. missing an assembly is a massive thing to us but for your daughter, it's ancient history. :D

Clare

I'm afraid they don't sound like a very caring 'lot' at your nursery! As childcare practitioners they should be aware of the importance of attending your child's concert - I'm so sorry you weren't able to be there!

I know you can't capture that moment of being there, but perhaps a chat with some of the other parents (as a parent) you might be able to get some photos or even a video of the performance for you to reflect back on with Natalie?

If I were a parent who had been prevented from seeing my child's concert, I think I would write a compaining letter to the manager, which would have to stay on file for all to see (the big 'O')! Not really suggesting you should (opening another can of worms), but for your manager to laugh in your face shows a level of insensitivity and was unprofessional to say the least (is she a parent??)

On the other matter, I too am currently a Room Leader and find the same problem with some unqualified staff. The problem I have is when I have asked (nicely) for someone to do something (that they should actually of had the initiative to do without being asked - i.e. help children..... pull up sleeves when washing hands, wipe a noise that is running, put a chair closer to a table so a child doesn't fall off, actually interact with children etc etc) and then change my request in the middle of a task because the situation has changed i.e. a child's nappy needs changing, a child is about to cut their finger off right next to the staff member! - they give me a look that says "but you asked me to do something else, and now you've changed your mind"...Hello, in childcare the goals posts change moment by moment...Or am I wrong here?!

This is the first time I've been a room leader, I feel like I'm talking to my teenage sons - No, that's not fair to my boys, they would be much more on the ball than some of the staff!

I feel we desparately need to put some basic staff training into place - it drives me mad when staff do not interact with the children and do not make the most of situations as they occur...because they have not written a lesson plan for something, so it's not their responsibility to make the most of opportunities as they occur. My manager wants to train on lesson plans - if we can't deliver them appropriately and they are just a typing exercise, then what's the point.

Having just said all that - we've just had our first concert -mainly 2 year olds - it was enchanting, i could hardly sing because i was so choked up! They looked beautiful - all 13 of them, some costumes bought, lots home made - a little snowman, angels, fairies, stars and a little pirate complete with sword! They took turns to stand up and introduce the songs and we did an impromptu (spelling?) encore. Only two cried and went to mum (2 year old twins). The owner of the nurseries' mum had knitted them all individually dressed bunny rabbits as a Christmas gift - and these went down very well too!

Also, we've just had our first Ofsted inspection (care only) - we opened in July and got Good in all areas - the report reads just like a glowing advertisement for our nursery! (so we must be doing something right)

Sorry to go on Clare, but emphathise with you and send you 'virtual support'.

Don't let them get you down. Have a restful and wonderful Christmas with Natalie.

Patricia

X

Thanks for those kind words, Marion, Rea and Patricia.

I really do not want to change jobs again, over this business with the carol concert, but I felt really let down by the nursery to be honest. I don't think my request was in any way unreasonable, and whilst I accept that I work there and was needed elsewhere, my retort to that would be that I could have swapped with someone downstairs for 15 minutes and there wouldn't have been a problem.

I was asked by one parent (son is my toddler room and older son is in pre-school) whether I enjoyed it or not, so mentioned that I was so busy with the babies that I didn't manage to get down to see it. He pulled out his video camera, showed me a couple of minutes worth, apologised profusely for all the close ups of his son and offered to put it on video for me in the new year, which I thought was lovely. It still doesn't make what they did right in my opinion, but there we go. It's done now.

As for the staff problem, maybe I've got my role all wrong?? Maybe my role is not to ask them to do things. I'm not overly sure to be honest. I don't feel like I get anyh support from the management so maybe I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick. I think I need to discuss with my manager exactly what it is she expects from me, as we seem to be at crossed purposes on just about everything.

On the plus side, I have one colleague who tries her utmost to be helpful when I request things are done. But bless her, she runs around doing everything and gets herself into such a state. I know she's not doing it to ingratiate herslef with me, but because we share the same thoughts and feelings on things and she wants what is right for the children. She was the room leader before I arrived but found it too stressful, hence my appointment! But even she finds our unqualified colleague difficult at times and feels as though she is bossed around by her. I have told her that as she is qualified, and second to me, so running things when I'm not there, then she should be being listened to, but unfortunately not.

She actually asked the unqualified person's permission before changing a display board in the room they both work in and was told no. So I went and got all the things she had asked for and set the activity up for her and encouraged her to do it. This was met with sarcastic comments about the things produced being rubbish. It was the children's work (I don't think she's learnt about 'children's work' yet and tends to do eveything for them because it will look better) and in my opinion, they all looked absolutely beautiful but my poor colleague got a barrage of insults, all cleverly disguised by laughing and joking.

When I have mentioned all these things to my manager I get told that she has been here for ages, knows the routine and the set up very well and I'm supposed to show her the 'rights and wrongs' of the job, which is fine, but what do you do when people are just totally unresponsive about everything you say or do???

Ideas on a postcard please..... :o

You sound like you are really up against it at the moment?

My nursery doesn't have room leaders but I would like them - I'll pick your brains if I succeed in getting my wishes, and find out what it's 'truly' like x

all I can say is that like any 'adolescent' ( in behaviour if not age) these staff need clear rules, expectations, boundaries and consequences. To impliment these needs confidence and assertiveness, don't ask, state, don't explain, expect, don't let them undermine you, discipline, remain consistent and fair and challenge any lack of respect to your directions to them.

Start the day by saying you expect to see some initiative today and you will point out to them when it is not seen, ie: responsibility is put to them at the start.

I know easier said than done. :o I would also start doing peer observations, highlighting good practice as well as areas to develop. Get them to do obs on each other, you just evaluate the obs.

Now, however, like others have said, switch off, enjoy your Christmas break with natalie and maybe consider this approach for the new year.

Peggy

Thanks Peggy. I was thinking about doing peer observations but I can imagine the response I would get from my manager if I asked to do this (I have to run EVERYTHING past her). She would say that they are a waste of time and that the time taken to carry them out would be taking me away from the children. I will ask her in the new year though and see what she says though.

Thanks Peggy. I was thinking about doing peer observations but I can imagine the response I would get from my manager if I asked to do this (I have to run EVERYTHING past her). She would say that they are a waste of time and that the time taken to carry them out would be taking me away from the children. I will ask her in the new year though and see what she says though.

let the staff do the obs on you and each other, not you do the obs.

A starting point maybe is if the staff do 'activity obs' but with a focus on the adult within the activity rather than what the child is learning.

Or event obs on the staff, every 30 mins note what each staff member is currently doing.

Let management know that peer obs will go down very well with ofsted, showing that staff practice is monitored and evaluated.

Good luck :D

Aww Clare sorry that you missed Natalie's performace. :(

In terms of your unit: girl get the unqualified in shape they need a good talking to, why does she want to become nursery nurse and then not be botthered to look after the children proplerly! You must find out why she doest listen to you, poor you and the other girl who works her socks off no wonder she didn't want to run the unit. She also need to be supported by you and the nursery management, I see it that your second in command as very little confidence, you should contiute to support and encourage her in her job role. :o

I went for an interview in a nursery (see my other tread that you replied to) they had a 0-2 unit, 2 rooms, 1 room for the smaller babies and then a large room with a gate so they can sperate the other age groups. It looked very nice, one of the jobs are in that room. Maybe I should think more about the job if I get offered it. Anyway in this nursery they have nursery pracitiioners levels 2 and 3 then a deputy room leader L3 2 yrs experince(umm that me! I fit that requirement xD ), room leaders L3, deputy and then manager. :D

My thought is that maybe in the baby unit you should have a deputy room leader consitering that it is a unit compared to just one room, then the others in the room may just get the idea she is also a senior along side you and then the room may work better in the long run. :)

Anyway have a great christmas and just look forward to having a super 2007! :D Just I as I am doing.

Beth