Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics And Cll

Hi everyone,

My Year 1 teacher has been on a course recently which said that in accordance with the rose review, etc we (from F2 upwards) should be doing a daily discrete phonics session. Think catma has posted this guidance too somewhere. Last term the majority of my CLL focused activities have been phonic based (daily) and have done lots of speaking and listening too (foundations of Lit). However having looked at my profile scores it is easy to see I need to do lots more text based work but how do you fit it all in? :o

If i am doing daily phonic session how many times a week can I do some sort of book based activities? I know CLL is at the foundation of everything but I do not want to spend too much time doing any one curriculum area as I do not feel it is fair to my children - I do try to have a balance of all 6 areas over the course of the week.

I guess I just wanted some advice from the more experienced members of the forum as to what you are doing and how it is working.

Thanks

:)

There have been similar postings on this topic over the past few months, have a look at past postings Mookie. It is difficult to fit it all in!! I have a daily phonics session in addition to any CLL work that is done. I also squeeze in guided reading once a week where we have a chance to do some focused text work with the children, we normally do one group a day in CIP or early morning time.

It is just a Reception teachers job to squeeze it all in somehow!!

Liz x

CLL is part of all other areas and as such you can cover it without having discrete lessons. If you check the Foundations of Literacy handbook somewhere near the back it shows how you can cover most of the Curriculum Guidance for Foundation Stage simply by following FoL

We have had similar discussions in our Foundation Stage, and cll has been a priority for this first term. We have managed it by having a discrete phonics sessions every morning for 15mins, whole class although some targeted kids have been taught in small group for session, in the afternoon we aimed to have a shared writing session straight after lunch, and then finish the day with a shared reading session. So far its been ok, but as the emphasis on reading grouws, we will be looking to move our shared readin# session to a different time when the children are more responsive.

Do you plan exclusively from FoL then Marion? If so how do you organise it - do you do a bit of each of the seven sections each week? I am asking as I feel I am plate spinning in terms of my CLL work and finding it difficult to manage all the aspects. I bought FoL about six months ago and have regularly dipped into it for activities however I would be very interested in embedding the FoL curriculum into my classroom. Any help/advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

We try to cover aspects of all 7 every day but do it in a cross curricular way.

So speaking and listening are part of all activities.

Singing alphabet/nursery rhymes /counting rhymes and song lots of moving in time to the beat indoors and out.

Stories we try 5 a day and usually succeed

Lots of enviromental print

Emergent reading and writing are seen as a priority

we do daily short phonic activities from FoL L is for Sheep and playing with sounds

lots of large scale writing practice and modelling writing

Hi Marion

I wondered if you used WRITE DANCE in Nursery and Reception?

Are there two seperate packs for each age group?

We also do a lot of what Marion does, some great CD's to use with the children for music is from www.piccolomusic.co.uk, very good!!

Hi Marion

I wondered if you used WRITE DANCE in Nursery and Reception?

Are there two seperate packs for each age group?

We also do a lot of what Marion does, some great CD's to use with the children for music is from www.piccolomusic.co.uk, very good!!

The Write Dance for nursery pack covers all of the foundation stage 3-5 and we use it with mixed groups.

Thanks Becky I will take a look :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'd no idea there was a Write Dance for FS. I've been using the 'original' one (Volcanoes etc) for the past year, but there is another? !

Please tell me more!

There is one now titled "Write Dance in the Nursery: A Pre-writing Programme for Children Aged 3 to 5". You can get this directly from Lucky Duck but I got mine a little cheaper from Amazon marketplace. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)