Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Resources In Areas

I'm after a few opinions here.

Our reception classroom is currently split into areas such as creative, writing, reading den, small world, construction, sand, water etc... We have the resources in each area for that area. However we are thinking of doing away with the bigger boxes of construction etc.. and having out smaller baskets of resources but a wider choice of say construction and small world. Our thinking is that children can then choose one of the smaller baskets and extend their play more by maybe taking a smaller basket of lego and cars into the sand or some mobilo and people into the water. In the past we have worried that we are limiting the children too much and wondered if this would work. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated and any ideas of what you do would be welcomed!!

Thamks

Lola x

We have the bigger boxes of construction but also a drawer unit with 18 drawers that contain small word/ smaller amounts of e.g. lego/sticklebricks/popoids/stencils/miini-teddies/car mat and few cars for a picnic. We find the the children really enjoy taking a drawer to a table/floor space to use. They don't tend to link different drawers together very much unless encouraged. I had thought hen they had the car mat out they may get somelittle people to cross the zebra crossing or make a garage uisng construction- I'm sure they will get there in the end!

I can see your reasoning but might it be frustrating for the children? We have been told by our esteemed Early Years Advisor that it is better to have a lot of one thing rather than lots of small amounts of many things.

Could you have 'addition/accessory' baskets to add to mobilo, duplo, blocks etc. For example we find with our big blocks that small baskets with trolls, dinosaurs, people, cars, leaves & twigs can work quite well to enhance and extend the play.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)