Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Language Policy

We support quite a few children who have English as their second language

Does any one have a policy specifically for this that I can have a look at?

Thanks

Jayde

I have an equality and diversity policy but it isn't specifically for children with ESL. We also have lots of children with ESL why do you need one specific for this (want to know incase ofsted are going to request it)

Debs

No don't worry they haven't requested it! I was reading an article and it suggested having one, I picked this up with a lead pedagogue and she thought it would be a good idea too.

I think I will ask our ESL support to help create one next week. Will let you know how I get on!

Jayde

Parent and preschool information articles on ESL in this weeks Nursery World.

Policies are great only if they are read AND understood and practiced by all, monitored, reviewed and adapted when required. To write one, put it in a folder, and display it, is really just a paper exercise and one more thing to 'get picked up on' if it is not up to date, has omissions, etc. To me, policies are only relevant if they are devised by as many 'users' of the setting (staff.parent. even child input) and is used as a 'working document'. I ask myself will writing a policy improve practice? If I don't think it will make a significant different or improvement then I really consider the relevance of having one.

This of course is not the case with mandatory policies.

Peggy

Thanks Peggy the article in nursery world has helped

I think our practice in this is already excellent and has received lots of praise from our area SENCO I suppose a policy would be more about reinforcing this practice to new (and existing) employees and kind of a mission statement (i use the term lightly) for recognition of this practice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)